The Hindu Editorial (Leaving the past behind) – Jul 19, 2021
Two events in Central Asia last week, which India attended, saw Afghanistan’s neighbours seeking solutions to the conflict there. For further reading, visit “The Hindu”. Below is today’s word list-1 for The Hindu Editorial (Leaving the past behind) – Jul 19, 2021.
To read this article, click here.
This preview is provided here with permission.
Courtesy: The Hindu
The Hindu Editorial (Leaving the past behind) – Jul 19, 2021:
- leave the past behind (phrase) – to forget about what has happened in the past and make a change from it.
- neighbour (noun) – a country that is next to another country; (bordering) country.
- decade (noun) – a period of ten years.
- seek (verb) – try to obtain; aim, attempt.
- Dushanbe (proper noun) – The capital of Tajikistan.
- Shanghai Cooperation Organisation (SCO) (noun) – The Shanghai Cooperation Organisation (SCO) is a permanent intergovernmental international organisation, the creation of which was announced on 15 June 2001 in Shanghai (China). The SCO currently comprises eight Member States (China, India, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Russia, Pakistan, Tajikistan and Uzbekistan) and is seen as a counterweight to NATO (The North Atlantic Treaty Organization). It was established as a multilateral association to ensure security and maintain stability across the vast Eurasian region, join forces to counteract emerging challenges and threats, and enhance trade, as well as cultural and humanitarian cooperation.
- Tashkent (proper noun) – The capital of Uzbekistan.
- take on (phrasal verb) – acquire, assume, come to have (a particular quality).
- salience (noun) – prominence, importance, significance.
- North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO) (noun) – NATO was created in 1949 by the United States, Canada, and several Western European nations to provide collective security against the Soviet Union.
- pullout (noun) – departure, withdrawal, retreat, disengagement, exit.
- air base (noun) – a military airport.
- advance (noun) – progress, forward movement.
- post (noun) – (of the armed forces) camp, base, station.
- territorial (adjective) – relating to a particular territory (area/region).
- Spin Boldak-Chaman border (noun) – it is one of the major international border crossings between Afghanistan and Pakistan.
- cut off (phrasal verb) – discontinue, disconnect, interrupt, suspend, break off.
- supply chain (noun) – a network between a company and its suppliers to produce and distribute a specific product to the final buyer.
- albeit (conjunction) – though, even though, however.
- decry (verb) – criticize, denounce, condemn.
- confront (verb) – face, challenge, stand up to, oppose, come face to face with.
- keep one’s promises (phrase) – to fulfil a promise you have made.
- cross over (verb) – travel across, go across, cut across, traverse.
- negotiation (noun) – discussions, talks, deliberation; discussing the terms of, arrangement.
- in earnest (phrase) – purposefully, determinedly, resolutely.
- brutal (adjective) – cruel, vicious, barbaric.
- regime (noun) – government.
- means (noun) – way, method, manner.
- frontier (noun) – the political and geographical area near or beyond a boundary; border, boundary, borderline, dividing line, demarcation line.
- resultant (adjective) – resulting, ensuing, consequent.
- refugee (noun) – displaced person, asylum seeker, exile, deportee, stateless person, émigré.
- influx (noun) – the arrival of a large number of people simultaneously.
- extremism (noun) – radicalism, fanaticism, dogmatism.
- transnational (adjective) – involving/relating to two/more countries.
- make clear (phrase) – explain, clarify, elucidate.
- crumble (verb) – collapse, fall down, cave in, break down.
- emergence (noun) – appearance, development, materialization.
- consensus (noun) – an idea or opinion that is shared by all the people in a group.
- shun (verb) – avoid, ignore, reject, eschew, rebuff, refuse, decline.
- backer (noun) – supporter, upholder, champion, defender.
- pause (verb) – stop, cease, halt.
- intra- (prefix) – within.
- pursue (verb) – engage in, conduct, take part in (an activity).
- receive (verb) – accept, admit, recognize.
- neighbourhood (noun) – (surrounding) area, region, country.
- voice (noun) – expression; opinion, view.
- determined (adjective) – firm, insistent, resolute, purposeful, single-minded.