The Hindu Editorial (Interesting, but risky) – Sep 06, 2019
The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has finally decided that it needs to address the problem of inadequate interest rate transmission head on. For further reading, visit “The Hindu”. Below is today’s word list-1 for The Hindu Editorial (Interesting, but risky) – Sep 06, 2019.
To read this article, click here.
This preview is provided here with permission.
Courtesy: The Hindu
Today’s word list-1 for The Hindu Editorial (Interesting, but risky) – Sep 06, 2019:
- floating (interest) rate (noun) – variable or adjustable (interest) rate on debt obligation.
- diktat (noun) – order, regulation, decree.
- spur (verb) – stimulate, prompt, propel.
- address (verb) – attend to, tackle, deal with.
- head on (adverb) – if someone deals with a problem head-on, they do not try to avoid it, but deal with it in a direct and determined way .
- benchmark (noun) – standard, guideline, basis.
- repo rate (noun) – it is the rate at which the central bank of a country (RBI in case of India) lends money to commercial banks in the event of any shortfall of funds.
- yield (noun) – profit, gain, return/dividend.
- leeway (noun) – freedom, scope/flexibility, latitude/elbow room.
- caveat (noun) – warning/caution of provision, condition, clause.
- abiding (adjective) – long-lasting, permanent, stable.
- conundrum (noun) – problem, difficulty, quandary.
- vexed (adjective) – annoyed, irritated, furious.
- weighted average (noun) – the average of values which are scaled by importance.
- lend (verb) – give, provide, offer.
- burn through (phrasal verb) – to use all of (something) quickly.
- The monetary policy committee (MPC) (noun) – it is a six-member panel that is expected to bring “value and transparency” to rate-setting decisions. It will feature three members from the RBI — the Governor, a Deputy Governor and another official — and three independent members to be selected by the Government. The MPC will meet four times a year to decide on monetary policy by a majority vote.
- avail (verb) – aid, assist, help.
- shrink (verb) – lessen, reduce, decrease.
- nudge (verb) – encourage, prompt, stimulate/coax.
- uptick (noun) – a small increase.
- becalmed (adjective) – at a standstill, at a halt, unmoving; stranded/stuck.
- beleaguered (adjective) – hard-pressed, troubled, in difficulties.
- conviction (noun) – belief, opinion, view.
1. Click each one of the words above for their definition, more synonyms, pronunciation, example sentences, phrases, derivatives, origin and etc from http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/.bigotry, narrow-mindedness
2. Definitions (elementary level) & Synonyms provided for the words above are my personal work and not that of Oxford University Press. Tentative definitions/meanings are provided for study purpose only and they may vary in different context.
3. This word list is for personal use only. Reproduction in any format and/or Commercial use of it is/are strictly prohibited.
Today’s word list-1 The Hindu Editorial (Interesting, but risky) – Sep 06, 2019: