The Hindu Editorial (A weak chase) – Sep 06, 2019
On September 3, Bangladesh, Bhutan, Nepal and Thailand became the first four countries in the World Health Organization’s southeast Asia region to have successfully controlled hepatitis B. For further reading, visit “The Hindu”. Below is today’s word list-2 for The Hindu Editorial (A weak chase)- Sep 06, 2019.
To read this article, click here.
This preview is provided here with permission.
Courtesy: The Hindu
Today’s word list-2 for The Hindu Editorial (A weak chase) – Sep 06, 2019:
- call for (phrasal verb) – require, need, necessitate/demand.
- vaccination (noun) – treatment with a vaccine to protect against a particular disease; immunization.
- prevalence (noun) – commonness, widespread presence, ubiquitousness.
- vaccine (noun) – a biological preparation that improves immunity to a particular disease.
- immunisation (noun) – the process whereby a person is made immune or resistant to an infectious disease, typically by the administration of a vaccine. Vaccines stimulate the body’s own immune system to protect the person against subsequent infection or disease.
- scale-up (noun) – increase, expansion.
- chronically (adverb) – continuously, constantly, unabatingly.
- chronic (adjective) – persistent, long-term, continuing (or happening again and again for a long time).
- premature (noun) – untimely, early, too soon/too early.
- liver cirrhosis (noun) – a liver condition that causes irreversible scarring on the liver.
- pentavalent vaccine (adjective) – 5-in-1 vaccine; it protects against five major infections: diphtheria, tetanus, pertussis (whooping cough), hepatitis B and Haemophilus influenzae type b (Hib).
- pilot (adjective) – test, trial, experimental (a scheme).
- roll-out (noun) – official launch / introduction.
- sub-optimal (adjective) – below the highest standard/level/quality.
- vertical transmission (noun) – vertical transmission (of viruses) occurs from mothers to their children/offspring during pregnancy, birth, or breastfeeding. In horizontal transmission, viruses are transmitted among individuals of the same generation
- puzzling (adjective) – confusing, baffling, bewildering.
- institutional delivery (noun) – it refers to the facilities like hospitals, trained health care professionals etc. for women for giving birth to child.
- incidentally (adverb) – by chance, accidentally, coincidentally.
- account for (phrasal verb) – constitute, make up, comprise, form.
- merit (noun) – strong point, advantage, value.
1. Click each one of the words above for their definition, more synonyms, pronunciation, example sentences, phrases, derivatives, origin and etc from http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/.bigotry, narrow-mindedness
2. Definitions (elementary level) & Synonyms provided for the words above are my personal work and not that of Oxford University Press. Tentative definitions/meanings are provided for study purpose only and they may vary in different context.
3. This word list is for personal use only. Reproduction in any format and/or Commercial use of it is/are strictly prohibited.
Today’s word list-2 The Hindu Editorial (A weak chase) – Sep 06, 2019: