The Hindu Editorial (In bad faith) – Jan 20, 2021
The NIA’s decision to summon people associated with the ongoing farmers agitation as ‘witnesses’ in a sedition case is definitely out of the ordinary,… For further reading, visit “The Hindu”. Below is today’s word list-1 for The Hindu Editorial (In bad faith) – Jan 20, 2021.
To read this article, click here.
This preview is provided here with permission.
Courtesy: The Hindu
The Hindu Editorial (In bad faith) – Jan 20, 2021:
- bad faith (noun) – dishonesty, unfaithfulness, duplicity, cheating, betrayal.
- ongoing (adjective) – continuing, happening/occurring, unending, unceasing, relentless.
- agitation (noun) – (public) protest.
- intimidation (noun) – frightening, threatening, domineering, pressurizing, oppression.
- serve (verb) – act as, function as, be of use (in achieving).
- dialogue (noun) – discussion, discourse, exchange of views (to solve a problem).
- National Investigation Agency (NIA) (noun) – The National Investigation Agency is a central agency established by the Indian Government to combat terror in India. It is functioning as the Central Counter Terrorism Law Enforcement Agency in the country. The National Investigation Agency (NIA) is created following the terror attack in Mumbai on December 26, 2008. It came into being on December 31, 2008, with the passage of the NIA Act of 2008.
- summon (verb) – order, demand, call/ask for (someone to be present as a witness in a law court).
- sedition (noun) – incitement (to riot/rebellion), agitation, trouble making/provocation (against the established government/authority).
- out of the ordinary (phrase) – unusual, unexpected, surprising, strange, bizarre, outlandish.
- Sikhs for Justice (SFJ) (noun) – formed in 2007, it is a US-based secessionist group that supports the secession of Punjab from India as Khalistan. It is banned by India.
- functionary (noun) – official, administrator, office-holder.
- agitating (adjective) – protesting, distressed, troubled.
- community kitchen (noun) – it serves meals free of charge to all people-without making a distinction of religion, caste, gender, economic status or ethnicity. (for example: In Sikhism, a langar is the community kitchen of a gurdwara).
- insinuation (noun) – implication, hint/indication, suggestion (of something bad).
- in the act of (phrase) – in the process of.
- Khalistanis (noun) – people who are related/connected to the Khalistan movement (a Sikh separatist movement) seeking to create a homeland for Sikhs by establishing a sovereign state, called Khālistān (‘Land of the Khalsa’), in the Punjab region.
- separatism (noun) – dissension, nonconformity, dissent/faction.
- infiltrate (verb) – penetrate, sneak into, slip into, gain access to, become a part of, spread through.
- portrayal (noun) – narrative, representation, characterization, depiction.
- critic (noun) – censurer, attacker, fault-finder.
- misled (adjective) – misguided, misdirected, deceived, misinformed.
- ignorant (adjective) – uninformed, unknowledgeable, unaware, insensible, mindless.
- actor (noun) – participants (in an action).
- foreclose (verb) – preclude, prevent, remove (a course of action).
- possibility (noun) – chance, probability.
- unintended (adjective) – unplanned, unexpected, inadvertent, incidental/accidental.
- enthusiastic (adjective) – eager/keen, ready, committed, willing.
- proffer (verb) – offer, tender, give.
- employ (verb) – use, utilize, exercise, bring into action.
- intimidatory (adjective) – frightening, menacing, terrifying.
- measure (noun) – action, step, proceeding.
- undermine (verb) – reduce, diminish, impede, hinder.
- legitimacy (noun) – legality, validity, lawfulness.
- Enforcement Directorate (ED) (noun) – Directorate of Enforcement is a specialized financial investigation agency under the Department of Revenue, Ministry of Finance, Government of India. It was established in the year 1956 with its Headquarters at New Delhi. It is responsible for enforcement of the Foreign Exchange Management Act, 1999 (FEMA) (Civil Law) and certain provisions under the Prevention of Money Laundering Act, 2002 (PMLA) (Criminal Law).
- Citizenship (Amendment) Act (CAA) (noun) – The Citizenship (Amendment) Bill, 2019 seeks to grant citizenship to religious minorities of Afghanistan, Pakistan, and Bangladesh, who had to flee their homeland facing persecution. The six minority groups that have been specifically identified are Hindus, Jains, Sikhs, Buddhists, Christians, and Parsis.
- heavy-handed (adjective) – oppressive, overbearing, highhanded, harsh.
- probably (adverb) – most likely, in all likelihood, all things considered, perhaps.
- dissenter (noun) – objector, protester.
- prospective (adjective) – future, potential, possible, probable, eventual.
- restrain (verb) – control, regulate, restrict, prevent.
- federalism/federal framework/system (noun) – a system of government in which establishments such as states or provinces share power with a national government.
- norms (noun) – standard, convention, guidelines, criterion.
- put down (phrasal verb) – suppress, put an end to, crush, quash, quell, overthrow.
- delink (verb) – separate, isolate, cut off.
- vibrant (adjective) – high-spirited, energetic, strong.
- diaspora (noun) – the people who spread/scatter from their own country to places across the world.
- harness (verb) – put to use, utilize/exploit, make use of.
- threshold (noun) – it is an amount, level, or limit of something. Once the threshold is reached, something else happens or changes. point of entry, starting point.
- consideration (noun) – thoughtfulness, concern, care.
- influence (verb) – affect, have an effect on something.
- assessment (noun) – evaluation, estimation, opinion.
- condemn (verb) – censure, criticize, castigate.
- strong-arm (adjective) – aggressive, forceful, coercive, oppressive.
- prudent (adjective) – wise, sensible, careful/far-sighted.
- good faith (noun) – honesty, genuineness, truthfulness.
1. Click each one of the words above for their definition, more synonyms, pronunciation, example sentences, phrases, derivatives, origin and etc from http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/.
2. Definitions (elementary level) & Synonyms provided for the words above are my personal work and not that of Oxford University Press. Tentative definitions/meanings are provided for study purpose only and they may vary in different context.
3. This word list is for personal use only. Reproduction in any format and/or Commercial use of it is/are strictly prohibited.
The Hindu Editorial (In bad faith) – Jan 20, 2021: