The Hindu Editorial (Imitation registry) – Jul 02, 2019
Nagaland is following on the footsteps of its western neighbour, Assam, in the task of setting up a Register of Indigenous Inhabitants of Nagaland (RIIN). For further reading, visit “The Hindu”. Below is today’s word list-1 for The Hindu Editorial (Imitation registry) – Jul 02, 2019.
To read this article, click here.
This preview is provided here with permission.
Courtesy: The Hindu
Today’s word list-1 for The Hindu Editorial (Imitation registry) – Jul 02, 2019:
- take note (phrase) – pay attention, take into consideration, watch.
- minefield (noun) – a situation with unknown dangers.
- follow in someone’s footsteps (phrase) – do something as another person did it before.
- indigenous (adjective) – native/local, original, domestic.
- inhabitant (noun) – native community, local people, (permanent) resident/dweller.
- variant (noun) – variation, development, adaptation, revision.
- decidedly (adverb) – distinctly, clearly/markedly, definitely.
- so far (phrase) – until now, up to the present, up to this point.
- unfold (verb) – develop, evolve, happen, take place/occur.
- considerably (adverb) – greatly, very much, significantly/markedly, noticeably.
- demography (noun) – the statistical study/structure of populations, especially human beings.
- turn out (phrasal verb) – transpire, emerge; happen/occur.
- filter out (phrasal verb) – to selectively remove part of something.
- indeed (adverb) – truly, actually, surely.
- curb (noun) – check, restrain, limitation/restriction.
- on the ground (phrase) – in a situation/place where things are happening really/practically.
- volatile (adjective) – unpredictable/unsettled, variable, turbulent/tense.
- enterprise (noun) – activity, operation, exercise/venture.
- ultimately (adverb) – eventually, in the end, essentially.
- imply (verb) – say indirectly, suggest, hint.
- deportation (noun) – expulsion/expelling, banishment, exile.
- deepen (verb) – increase, intensify, escalate.
- fault-line (noun) – a divisive issue, difference of opinion.
- render (verb) – make, cause to be, represent.
- humane (noun) – compassionate, generous; socially concerned.
- in-built (adjective) – inherent, intrinsic, native.
- divisive (adjective) – alienating/isolating, disharmonious, discordant.
- posture (noun) – attitude, standpoint, approach.
- keen (adjective) – eager, wishing, determined.
- emotive (adjective) – sensitive, emotional, delicate.
- unfold (verb) – develop, happen, take place.
- drive (verb) – prompt, propel, spur.
1. Click each one of the words above for their definition, more synonyms, pronunciation, example sentences, phrases, derivatives, origin and etc from http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/.bigotry, narrow-mindedness
2. Definitions (elementary level) & Synonyms provided for the words above are my personal work and not that of Oxford University Press. Tentative definitions/meanings are provided for study purpose only and they may vary in different context.
3. This word list is for personal use only. Reproduction in any format and/or Commercial use of it is/are strictly prohibited.
Today’s word list-1 The Hindu Editorial (Imitation registry) – Jul 02, 2019: