The Hindu Editorial (Hope and promise) – Jun 21, 2021
Signalling a revival of the political process in Jammu and Kashmir, Prime Minister Narendra Modi has decided to meet 14 party leaders from the Union Territory on June 24. For further reading, visit “The Hindu”. Below is today’s word list-1 for The Hindu Editorial (Hope and promise) – Jun 21, 2021.
To read this article, click here.
This preview is provided here with permission.
Courtesy: The Hindu
The Hindu Editorial (Hope and promise) – Jun 21, 2021:
- outreach (noun) – the level of reaching out/activity/effort; involvement.
- signal (verb) – indicate, show, express; denote, imply; announce.
- revival (noun) – re-establishment, reintroduction, restoration, bring back, renewal.
- take place (phrase) – happen, occur, transpire.
- strip of (verb) – dispossess, deprive, deny/remove, take away from (rank, power, etc.).
- dismember (verb) – disjoint, cut off, break up, disintegrate.
- unprecedented (adjective) – not done or experienced before.
- prevailing (adjective) – prevalent, widespread, rampant, usual; existing, current, present.
- betrayal (noun) – disloyalty, bad faith, faithlessness, falseness.
- resolution (noun) – solution, settlement, conclusion, answer.
- frozen (adjective) – limited, restricted, curbed, confined; unresponsive, uninterested.
- nationalism (noun) – it refers to a system (with a narrow set of ideas) created by a group of people who believe their nation is superior to all others. It is also a perception of national superiority and an orientation toward national dominance- called chauvinism (excessive nationalism).
- decade (noun) – a period of ten years.
- concerted (adjective) – vigorous, active, forceful, strong, intense; coordinated, collective, combined, cooperative.
- campaign (noun) – an organized effort that seeks to influence the decision-making progress within a specific group.
- undermine (verb) – weaken, subvert, sabotage, damage.
- Valley (noun) – a low area between hills or mountains typically with a river running through it. Valley is a metonym of Jammu & Kashmir in this context (Metonym is used as an alternative for something else with which it is closely related/associated).
- premise (noun) – proposition, assumption, belief, thought.
- impediment (noun) – obstacle, barrier, obstruction, hindrance.
- facilitator (noun) – a person/thing that encourages action and makes it easier.
- short-lived (adjective) – brief, short, short-term, temporary, transitory.
- alliance (noun) – association, union, partnership.
- far from (phrase) – not, not at all.
- build bridges (phrase) – encourage/support the friendly relationship between different groups.
- hostility (noun) – opposition, conflict, resentment, enmity, aversion, antipathy.
- de-legitimise (verb) – reverse/withdraw the legitimate status of something.
- in the eyes of (phrase) – in the view of; in the opinion of.
- mainstream (adjective) – normal, conventional, orthodox, accepted, established, recognized, popular.
- mainstream (noun) – something (certain beliefs/ideas/activities) which are accepted or recognized by most people as normal or typical.
- incubate (verb) – give support and aid the development of something.
- make progress (phrase) – move forward, make strides; proceed, advance, improve.
- environment (noun) – situation.
- entanglement (noun) – involvement, attachment; relations, relationship.
- stand-off (noun) – deadlock, stalemate, impasse (in a dispute/conflict).
- strategically (adverb) – in a way that is designed/planned to serve a particular purpose.
- embrace (verb) – welcome, accept, support, back.
- strategic (adjective) – relating to achieving long-term or overall goals.
- the mishandling (noun) – mismanagement
- pandemic (noun) – the worldwide spread of a new disease; The illness spreads around the world and typically affects a large number of people across a wide area.
- dent (verb) – damage, impair, cripple, erode, weaken, undermine.
- image (noun) – public perception/impression, reputation, stature, status.
- trigger (verb) – cause, prompt, generate, bring about.
- rigidity (noun) – unadaptability, inflexibility, strictness, stubbornness.
- all the same (phrase) – in spite of that, nevertheless, even so, however.
- explore (verb) – examine, evaluate, consider, check out, look into.
- the way forward (phrase) – something (a plan/action) that leads to success in the future.
- wisely (adverb) – sensibly, knowingly, logically, strategically.
- regardless of (phrase) – despite, notwithstanding, in spite of.
- good faith (noun) – honesty, genuineness, truthfulness, integrity.
- open mind (noun) – an honest mind; an unbiased mind.
- managerial (adjective) – supervisory, regulatory, controlling, organizational.
- legitimate (adjective) – valid, reasonable, reliable.
- debase (verb) – degrade, devalue, lower the status of.
- pilferage (noun) – the act of stealing items of low value, especially in small quantities, also called petty theft.
- amount to (verb) – be equal to, be equivalent to, represent.
- further (verb) – promote, advance, facilitate, encourage, back.
- instability (noun) – uncertainty, unpredictability, precariousness.
- groundwork (noun) – preliminary work, basic work, fundamentals.
- durable (adjective) – long-lasting, strong, substantial.