The Hindu Editorial (Google, pay) – Apr 14, 2020
Last week’s ruling by France’s competition regulator that Google must pay news publishers and agencies for re-use of their content… For further reading, visit “The Hindu”. Below is today’s word list-2 for The Hindu Editorial (Google, pay) – Apr 14, 2020.
To read this article, click here.
This preview is provided here with permission.
Courtesy: The Hindu
Today’s word list-2 for The Hindu Editorial (Google, pay) – Apr 14, 2020:
- template (noun) – model, pattern, example, blueprint.
- hold promise (phrase) – to look likely to achieve success in the future; to have potential.
- see-saw battle (noun) – a battle in which advantage/lead is changing rapidly & repeatedly between two contesting sides right up to the end.
- lead to (verb) – cause, give rise to, result in, bring on.
- ruling (noun) – judgement, decision/verdict, pronouncement, resolution.
- beleaguered (adjective) – hard-pressed, troubled, suffering.
- edge (noun) – advantage, lead, head start.
- mammoth (adjective) – huge, massive, colossal.
- notwithstanding (preposition) – in spite of, despite, regardless of that.
- let go (phrase) – dismiss, relinquish, give up.
- dependence on (noun) – reliance on, need for, confidence in.
- monetary (adjective) – financial, money.
- make sense (phrase) – be accepted, be practicable, be convincing.
- might (noun) – strength, force, power.
- skewed (adjective) – distorted, altered, changed; misrepresented, falsified.
- give force to (phrase) – enforce, demand, insist on, pressurize.
- genesis (noun) – origin/source, beginning, emergence.
- seek (verb) – try, attempt, aim.
- ground (noun) – reason, factor, basis.
- extract (noun) – copy, take, abstract reproduce.
- pick up (phrasal verb) – receive, get, collect.
- aggregator (noun) – an organisation/website which collects materials (information) from various sources and then present them to its readers.
- on the ground (phrase) – in a situation/place where things are happening really/practically.
- comply with (verb) – abide by, adhere to, conform to.
- constitute (verb) – form, comprise, represent.
- abuse (noun) – injustice, wrongdoing, misconduct; misuse of something.
- shake up (phrasal verb) – reorganize, restructure, revolutionize, transform/reform.
- framework (noun) – structure, scheme, system, organisation.
- monetise (verb) – earn money, generate revenue.
- counterproductive (adjective) – undesirable, unfortunate, unfavourable; damaging, destructive.
- end up (verb) – come/appear, find oneself (to a particular course of action in the end).
- shut down (phrasal verb) – close down, cease operation/activity, discontinue.
- remuneration (noun) – payment, earnings, wages.
1. Click each one of the words above for their definition, more synonyms, pronunciation, example sentences, phrases, derivatives, origin and etc from http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/.
2. Definitions (elementary level) & Synonyms provided for the words above are my personal work and not that of Oxford University Press. Tentative definitions/meanings are provided for study purpose only and they may vary in different context.
3. This word list is for personal use only. Reproduction in any format and/or Commercial use of it is/are strictly prohibited.
Today’s word list-2 The Hindu Editorial (Google, pay) – Apr 14, 2020: