The Hindu Editorial (Futile fines) – Sep 13, 2019
The steep penalties for violation of road rules that came into force on September 1 under the Motor Vehicles (Amendment) Act,… For further reading, visit “The Hindu”. Below is today’s word list-2 for The Hindu Editorial (Futile fines)- Sep 13, 2019.
To read this article, click here.
This preview is provided here with permission.
Courtesy: The Hindu
Today’s word list-2 for The Hindu Editorial (Futile fines) – Sep 13, 2019:
- futile (adjective) – pointless, useless, valueless.
- enforcement (noun) – imposition, implementation, execution.
- mitigate (verb) – reduce, lessen, decrease, make less severe.
- steep (adjective) – sharp, sudden, rapid.
- backlash (noun) – a strong negative reaction; adverse response, counteraction.
- quantum (noun) – portion, part, division.
- provision (noun) – term, clause, requirement.
- stringent (adjective) – strict/stern, severe, tough/rigorous.
- outrage (noun) – indignation, fury, anger.
- pursue (verb) – engage in, follow, conduct.
- reiterate (verb) – repeat, say again, restate.
- deterrence (noun) – the act of deterring/stopping someone from doing something.
- radically (adverb) – completely, thoroughly, entirely.
- determinant (noun) – factor, issue, concern.
- untouched (adjective) – unaffected, unchanged, uninfluenced.
- lie in (phrasal verb) – be present, be contained, exist.
- concessionaire (noun) – one who holds a concession or a right granted (for example, by the government) to conduct a certain business.
- lay down (phrasal verb) – formulate, stipulate, draw up/frame (a rule).
- litigation (noun) – legal process, legal proceeding, legal action.
- pedestrian (noun) – walker, person on foot, wayfarer.
- ambit (noun) – scope, limits, purview.
- steep in (verb) – imbue with, fill with, pervade with.
- lapsed (adjective) – expired, invalid, out of date, discontinued.
- impunity (noun) – immunity, exemption/freedom from punishment, special treatment.
- lose no time (phrase) – be quick, hurry up, move quickly; press on.
1. Click each one of the words above for their definition, more synonyms, pronunciation, example sentences, phrases, derivatives, origin and etc from http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/.bigotry, narrow-mindedness
2. Definitions (elementary level) & Synonyms provided for the words above are my personal work and not that of Oxford University Press. Tentative definitions/meanings are provided for study purpose only and they may vary in different context.
3. This word list is for personal use only. Reproduction in any format and/or Commercial use of it is/are strictly prohibited.
Today’s word list-2 The Hindu Editorial (Futile fines) – Sep 13, 2019: