The Hindu Editorial (Frontier politics) – Mar 12, 2021
The BJP’s rise to power in Assam in 2016 was remarkable, and the party has set an even higher goal this time, to win 100 of the 126 Assembly seats along with its allies, the Asom Gana Parishad,… For further reading, visit “The Hindu”. Below is today’s word list-1 for The Hindu Editorial (Frontier politics) – Mar 12, 2021.
To read this article, click here.
This preview is provided here with permission.
Courtesy: The Hindu
The Hindu Editorial (Frontier politics) – Mar 12, 2021:
- frontier (noun) – the political and geographical area near or beyond a boundary; border, boundary, borderline, dividing line, demarcation line.
- identity (noun) – a social category, a set of persons marked by a label and distinguished by rules deciding membership and (alleged) characteristic features or attributes.
- centrestage (noun) – centre of attention, prominent position, spotlight, public eye.
- ally (noun) – partner, confederate, supporter (in a political alliance).
- landscape (noun) – the distinctive features of a field of activity.
- Citizenship (Amendment) Act (CAA) (noun) – The Citizenship (Amendment) Bill, 2019 seeks to grant citizenship to religious minorities of Afghanistan, Pakistan, and Bangladesh, who had to flee their homeland facing persecution. The six minority groups that have been specifically identified are Hindus, Jains, Sikhs, Buddhists, Christians, and Parsis.
- go by (phrasal verb) – to follow something.
- Mahajot (noun) – Bengali word meaning “Grand Alliance”.
- alliance (noun) – association, union, partnership.
- movement (noun) – campaign, crusade, agitation, drive/push.
- triangular (adjective) – three-sided, three-cornered.
- vacuum (noun) – gap, space, absence, lack/deficiency of something.
- tussle (noun) – fight, clash, contention.
- reconcile (verb) – make harmonious, cause to be in agreement, resolve differences between, resolve, patch up.
- friction (noun) – discord, disharmony, disunity, strife, conflict, disagreement, dissension.
- arise out (verb) – result, occur, stem (from).
- fast-paced (adjective) – developing very quickly.
- anti-incumbency (noun) – a situation which is against elected officials currently in power; discontent against ruling government/ party in power.
- fraught (adjective) – anxious, worried, upset, overwrought, distracted, distressed, panic-stricken.
- subsume (verb) – include, incorporate, absorb, encompass.
- ethnic (adjective) – relating to a population subgroup (cultural, national, traditional/folk) with a common national or cultural tradition.
- linguistic (adjective) – relating to language; lingual.
- rhetoric (noun) – the art of speaking or writing effectively & persuasively or impressively (but, often lacking substance); bombast, loftiness, hyperbole/extravagant language.
- National Register of Citizens (NRC) (noun) – It is a register that includes demographic information about all those individuals who qualify as citizens of India as per the Citizenship Act, 1955.
- fault line (noun) – a divisive issue; a difference of opinion.
- intertwine (verb) – connect, link, weave together closely.
- migrant (noun) – a person who moves from one region to another – either within a country or across national borders in order to find work or better living conditions.
- overrun (verb) – invade, occupy, overwhelm, swamp, spread over (a place in large numbers).
indigenous (adjective) – native/local; original.
- perennial (adjective) – everlasting/unending, endless, permanent.
- seek (verb) – try, aim, attempt.
- take through (phrasal verb) – explain, define, interpret, clarify.
- regime (noun) – system.
- underplay (verb) – downplay, understate, de-emphasize.
- on the back foot (phrase) – in a defensive position, off-balance, at a disadvantage.
- red flag (noun) – warning, caution, alarm bells.
- constitute (verb) – account for, form, comprise, represent.
- mobilise (verb) – bring (resources) into use for a particular purpose/cause.
- encroachment (noun) – intrusion into, trespass on, invasion of.
- swathe (noun) – a wide area of something.
- monastery (noun) – religious house, religious community.
- wash away (phrasal verb) – to remove, get rid of something completely.
- dwelling place/area (noun) – residence, place of residence, place of habitation, house, accommodation.
- distress (noun) – anguish, suffering, pain, agony, affliction.
- voting block (noun) – a group of voters that are strongly motivated by a specific common concern or group of concerns to the point that such specific concerns tend to dominate their voting patterns, causing them to vote together in elections.
- material (adjective) – relating to matter; relevant, applicable, pertinent (matter/resources).
- campaign (noun) – an organized effort which seeks to influence the decision-making progress within a specific group.
- overwhelm (verb) – overrun, overpower/inundate, swamp; overburden, beset, affect, disturb.
1. Click each one of the words above for their definition, more synonyms, pronunciation, example sentences, phrases, derivatives, origin and etc from http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/.
2. Definitions (elementary level) & Synonyms provided for the words above are my personal work and not that of Oxford University Press. Tentative definitions/meanings are provided for study purpose only and they may vary in a different context.
3. This word list is for personal use only. Reproduction in any format and/or Commercial use of it is/are strictly prohibited.
The Hindu Editorial (Frontier politics) – Mar 12, 2021: