The Hindu Editorial (Friends in need) – Jun 24, 2021
Talk of any political realignment is unseasonal, considering the fact that the next general election is due only in 2024 and the BJP is entrenched in the government. For further reading, visit “The Hindu”. Below is today’s word list-1 for The Hindu Editorial (Friends in need) – Jun 24, 2021.
To read this article, click here.
This preview is provided here with permission.
Courtesy: The Hindu
The Hindu Editorial (Friends in need) – Jun 24, 2021:
- a friend in need is a friend indeed (phrase) – a friend who helps in difficulty is a true friend.
- in need (phrase) – requiring help; (in difficulty, in trouble).
- amalgam (noun) – combination, union, merger.
- disparate (adjective) – contrasting, different, dissimilar.
- viable (adjective) – reasonable, practical, logical, sensible, effective.
- realignment (noun) – reorganisation, reordering, reshuffle.
- unseasonal (adjective) – unusual or inappropriate.
- due (adjective) – expected, anticipated.
- entrench (verb) – ingrain, establish, embed.
- gathering (noun) – meeting.
- activist (noun) – a person who supports a political or societal change/cause.
- scholar (noun) – academic, intellectual, expert/pundit, learned person.
- convene (verb) – call/get together, assemble, gather.
- precede (verb) – come/go before, go in advance of, lead up to.
- speculation (noun) – prediction, guesswork, opinion/thought.
- front (noun) – political group.
- sideline (verb) – remove from the centre of activity.
- exploratory (adjective) – investigative, explorative, probing/fact-finding, analytic, searching.
- for one (phrase) – used to emphasize your opinion, even if others may disagree it.
- misstep (noun) – mistake, blunder, false step.
- vulnerable (adjective) – ill-protected, at risk, endangered; undefended, easily damaged.
- ideational (adjective) – relating to the formation of ideas.
- principled (adjective) – moral, ethical, righteous, right-minded, proper, decent.
- vacillate (verb) – keep changing one’s mind; be indecisive, be irresolute, be undecided, be uncertain.
- vacillating (adjective) – indecisive, irresolute, undecided, uncertain.
- reluctance (noun) – unwillingness, disinclination, hesitation.
- uninspiring (adjective) – boring, dull, unexciting.
- play a part/role (phrase) – contribute to, be instrumental in, be a factor in.
- vigorous (adjective) – powerful, spirited, determined, resolute, aggressive.
- dexterity (noun) – cleverness, skillfulness, deftness, acumen, finesse, expertise, mastery, subtlety/delicacy.
- heft (noun) – influence, ability; weight/strength.
- nascent (adjective) – just beginning, developing, emerging, rising, burgeoning.
- engagement (noun) – participation, taking part, involvement, contribution.
- open question (noun) – undecided matter/thing.
- enthusiasm (noun) – eagerness, excitement, zeal.
- mute (verb) – restrain, subdue, silence, tone down.
- conscious (adjective) – aware, mindful, sensible.
- pitfall (noun) – danger, risk, problem.
- adversary (noun) – rival, enemy, nemesis, opponent.
- open up (phrasal verb) – become communicative, expressive, vocal/open.
- for now (phrase) – for the time being, for the present, for the moment.
- guarded (adjective) – cautious, careful, diplomatic, prudent.
- robust (adjective) – strong, vigorous, powerful.
- onerous (adjective) – burdensome, difficult, tough, troublesome, stressful.
- circumstances (noun) – situation, condition, context.
- unchallenged (adjective) – undisputed, undoubted, unquestioned, unequivocal.
- tension (noun) – strain, stress, pressure, unease.
- staunchly (adverb) – strongly, vigorously, firmly, resolutely.
- harness (verb) – utilize, use, make use of, put to use, capitalize on, employ, apply.
- opponent (noun) – rival, nemesis, combatant, competitor.