The Hindu Editorial (For a data firewall) – Feb 07, 2020
The report by a German cybersecurity firm that medical details of millions of Indian patients were leaked and are freely available on the Internet is worrying. For further reading, visit “The Hindu”. Below is today’s word list-2 for The Hindu Editorial (For a data firewall) – Feb 07, 2020.
To read this article, click here.
This preview is provided here with permission.
Courtesy: The Hindu
Today’s word list-2 for The Hindu Editorial (For a data firewall) – Feb 07, 2020:
- firewall (noun) – a network security device that monitors incoming and outgoing network traffic and permits or blocks data packets based on a set of security rules.
- cybersecurity (noun) – the protection of internet-connected systems, including hardware, software and data, from cyber attacks.
- potential (noun) – potentiality, possibility.
- mine (verb) – search, exploit, look through (a source of information).
- profile (noun) – summary of a person’s personal details.
- social engineering (noun) – the act of tricking someone into divulging (revealing sensitive (or) personal) information or taking action usually through technology. It is to take advantage of a potential victim’s natural tendencies and emotional reactions.
- phishing (noun) – the fraudulent use of electronic communications to deceive and take advantage of users.
- online identity theft (noun) – a serious crime, often aimed at obtaining the personal or financial information (such as credit card details) of another person.
- thrive (verb) – grow, develop, progress, advance (vigorously).
- darknet (noun) – restricted computer networks which exchange information using means (ways) such as peer-to-peer file sharing.
- peer-to-peer (P2P) (adjective) – relating to the computer systems which are connected to each other via the Internet (in a P2P network).
- Picture Archiving and Communications Systems (PACS) (noun) – a medical imaging technology which provides economical storage of, and convenient access to, images from multiple modalities (source machine types). Electronic images and reports are transmitted digitally via PACS.
- in place (phrase) – established, ready, set up.
- comprehensive (adjective) – all-inclusive, complete, full.
- table (verb) – submit, put forward, propose, present .
- chair (verb) – preside over, lead, control/direct.
- seek (verb) – attempt, try/aim, pursue.
- codify (verb) – systematize, organize, arrange.
- data principals (noun) – people/clients whose information is collected.
- data fiduciaries (noun) – entities/companies who are processing data. They must be loyal to their people/clients’ interests, and they must show a “duty of care”.
- safeguard (verb) – protect, save, secure, preserve.
- by design (phrase) – deliberately, on purpose, knowingly.
- dilute (verb) – diminish, reduce, decrease, weaken.
- consent (noun) – agreement, assent, permission/approval.
- proviso (noun) – condition/term, provision/clause, stipulation.
- offence (noun) – an illegal act, crime, misconduct/wrongdoing.
- substantive (adjective) – important & meaningful.
- pertain to (verb) – concern, relate to, be connected with.
- exemption (noun) – exclusion, relief, exception.
- need of the hour (phrase) – some need/requirement/demand at a particular point of time.
1. Click each one of the words above for their definition, more synonyms, pronunciation, example sentences, phrases, derivatives, origin and etc from http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/.
2. Definitions (elementary level) & Synonyms provided for the words above are my personal work and not that of Oxford University Press. Tentative definitions/meanings are provided for study purpose only and they may vary in different context.
3. This word list is for personal use only. Reproduction in any format and/or Commercial use of it is/are strictly prohibited.
Today’s word list-2 The Hindu Editorial (For a data firewall) – Feb 07, 2020: