The Hindu Editorial (Covid shield) – Jul 05, 2021
Pushkar Dhami has replaced Tirath Singh Rawat as the new CM of Uttarakhand, in the second change of guard in the State within four months. For further reading, visit “The Hindu”. Below is today’s word list-1 for The Hindu Editorial (Covid shield) – Jul 05, 2021.
To read this article, click here.
This preview is provided here with permission.
Courtesy: The Hindu
The Hindu Editorial (Covid shield) – Jul 05, 2021:
- shield (noun) – protection, safeguard, cover, shelter.
- at the helm (phrase) – in charge, in command/control/authority; in the driving seat.
- trigger (verb) – cause, prompt, generate, bring about.
- obstacle (noun) – barrier, hurdle, stumbling block, impediment, hindrance.
- change of guard (phrase) – It used to refer to a situation in which there is a (dramatic) change in which new people are replacing people (existing) in positions of importance.
- legislature (noun) – law-making body.
- put out (phrasal verb) – issue, publish, release, circulate, make public.
- narrative (noun) – a representation of a particular situation; portrayal, account, report, statement.
- limbo (noun) – uncertain situation or state; a state of uncertainty.
- timeframe (noun) – a particular period of time in which something is taking place.
- given (preposition) – considering, taking into account, bearing in mind.
- constitutional crisis (noun) – it is defined as a situation when a country’s constitution is not able to clearly resolve an issue/problem/conflict in the function of a Government at it’s disposal.
- go on to (phrasal verb) – proceed (to do something).
- hold (verb) – conduct, organize, arrange.
- the Representation of the People Act 1951 (noun) – An Act to provide for the conduct of elections to the Houses of Parliament and to the House or Houses of the Legislature of each State, the qualifications and disqualifications for membership of those Houses, the corrupt practices and other offences at or in connection with such elections and the decision of doubts and disputes arising out of or in connection with such elections.
- mandate (verb) – instruct, direct, order, require; make mandatory.
- provided (conjunction) – if, on condition that, presuming, assuming that.
- bar (verb) – ban.
- on account of (phrase) – because of, owing to, due to, by virtue of.
- for all — (phrase) – In spite of —.
- claimed (adjective) – asserted, affirmed, avowed.
- mastery (noun) – control, superiority, domination, command, power, authority.
- back/pick the wrong horse (phrase) – make a wrong choice/decision.
- admission (noun) – acknowledgement, acceptance, recognition, revelation, disclosure.
- imply (verb) – suggest, hint, intimate, signal, indicate, say indirectly.
- far from (phrase) – not, not at all.
- put one’s house in order (phrase) – improve one’s own behaviour before criticizing others.
- tenure (noun) – term, time, period.
- aggravate (verb) – increase, intensify, worsen, exacerbate, compound.
- tension (noun) – strained relations; strain, stress, pressure, unease.
- embarrass (verb) – upset, disconcert, humiliate, discomfit.
- elsewhere (adverb) – somewhere else, at another place, to a different place.
- run (verb) – manage, organize, direct, control.
- affairs (noun) – concerns, matters, activities, dealings.
- deem (verb) – think, consider, judge, regard as.
- back up (phrasal verb) – support, stand by, side with; endorse, bolster, reinforce.
- speculation (noun) – prediction, guesswork, opinion/thought.
- unhealthy (adjective) – undesirable, unnatural, abnormal.
- fog (noun) – a state of confusion; a state of disorientation.
- regarding (preposition) – concerning, with regard/respect to, with reference to.
- for one’s own (good) (phrase) – for the benefit/advantage of oneself.
- reputation (noun) – good name, character, standing, stature, status, position.
- fairness (noun) – impartiality, equity, righteousness, lack of favoritism.
- pandemic (noun) – the worldwide spread of a new disease; The illness spreads around the world and typically affects a large number of people across a wide area.
- unprecedented (adjective) – not done or experienced before.
- transparent (adjective) – open/candid, forthright, straightforward, honest.
- design (verb) – do something (with a particular purpose).
- accommodate (verb) – adjust, adapt, attune, get accustomed, come to terms with, come to accept.
- machinations (noun) – schemes/plots, tricks, tactics, intrigues, conspiracies.