The Hindu Editorial (Counting the dead) – Jun 12, 2021
The real time mortality impact of the COVID-19 pandemic is an important statistical measure to guide policy responses. For further reading, visit “The Hindu”. Below is today’s word list-1 for The Hindu Editorial (Counting the dead) – Jun 12, 2021.
To read this article, click here.
This preview is provided here with permission.
Courtesy: The Hindu
The Hindu Editorial (Counting the dead) – Jun 12, 2021:
- measure (verb) – estimate, count, calculate, evaluate, determine, quantify.
- mortality (noun) – (in a particular time/for a cause) the rate/number of death.
- pandemic (noun) – the worldwide spread of a new disease; The illness spreads around the world and typically affects a large number of people across a wide area.
- measure (noun) – plan, procedure, course of action, step.
- under-counting (noun) – an incorrect & low counting.
- mature (adjective) – fully developed, completely established, full-fledged.
- public health (noun) – the branch of medicine handling public health; public health is also the science of protecting and improving the health of people and their communities through education, policy-making, and research for disease and injury prevention.
- largely (adverb) – mostly, mainly, primarily, basically, generally, to a large/great extent.
- due to (phrase) – because of, owing to, on account of, as a result of.
- cardiovascular (adjective) – relating to the heart and blood vessels.
- apparent (adjective) – evident/clear, visible, noticeable, recognizable.
- case fatality rate/ratio (noun) – in epidemiology, the proportion of people who die from a particular disease compared to all individuals diagnosed with the disease over a certain period of time.
- relatively (adverb) – comparatively, proportionately, somewhat, to a certain extent/degree.
- rather than (phrase) – instead of.
- audit (noun) – inspection, examination, assessment, investigation.
- audit (verb) – analyse, examine, scrutinize, investigate, appraise.
- bulletin (noun) – report, release, statement, announcement.
- mislead (verb) – misguide, misdirect, misinform.
- toll (noun) – number, count, total (number of deaths).
- discrepancy (noun) – difference, variance, contradiction, incompatibility.
- cite (verb) – refer to, adduce, make reference to, invoke.
- barely (adverb) – only, just, just, hardly.
- Civil Registration System (CRS) (noun) – Civil Registration System (CRS) in India is the unified process of continuous, permanent and compulsory recording of the vital events (births, deaths, stillbirths
). (A stillbirth is the death or loss of a baby before or during delivery).
- given (adjective) – specified, stated, particular, specific.
- rage (verb) – (of a disease) spread very quickly or uncontrollably; be at its height, be uncontrollable; reach a high degree of intensity.
- baseline (noun) – a starting point (used for comparisons).
- time frame (noun) – a particular period of time in which something is taking place.
- collation (noun) – an act of comparing, analyzing, weighing against (two or more sources of information).
- fatality (noun) – death, casualty, mortality/loss.
- Office of the Registrar General and Census Commissioner of India (noun) – Registrar General and Census Commissioner of India, founded in 1961 by Government of India Ministry of Home Affairs, for arranging, conducting and analysing the results of the demographic surveys of India including Census of India and Linguistic Survey of India.
- besides (preposition/linking adverb) – in addition to, as well, apart from.
- enable (verb) – allow, permit, facilitate.
- in the meantime (phrase) – for now, for the present, in the interim.
- mitigation (noun) – alleviation, reduction; lessening, relief.
- strategy (noun) – plan of action.