The Hindu Editorial (An elite club) – Jun 15, 2021
The G-7 summit, at Carbis Bay, sent out two very strong messages. The first was driven by the United States’s new President Joseph Biden and his vow that “America is back” to take the lead on global challenges. For further reading, visit “The Hindu”. Below is today’s word list-1 for The Hindu Editorial (An elite club) – Jun 15, 2021.
To read this article, click here.
This preview is provided here with permission.
Courtesy: The Hindu
The Hindu Editorial (An elite club) – Jun 15, 2021:
- elite (noun) – high society people; the group of most powerful people in a society; best.
- G-7 or Group of Seven (noun) – a multilateral forum made up of the world’s seven largest so-called developed countries: Canada, France, Germany, Italy, Japan, the United Kingdom and the United States. They meet annually to discuss and exchange ideas on a broad range of issues, including global economy, security and energy.
- summit (noun) – meeting, conference, conclave (international meeting/conference of heads of state/government).
- open (adjective) – non-exclusive, accessible to everyone, non-restrictive.
- exclusive (adjective) – especial, personal, restrictive.
- increasingly (adverb) – more and more, progressively, growingly.
- interlinked (adjective) – joined (together), interweaved, intertwined.
- send out (phrasal verb) – give out, announce, deliver/produce.
- drive (verb) – propel, urge, prompt; push, force.
- vow (noun) – sworn statement, affirmation, pledge, promise, assurance.
- take the lead (phrase) – accept leadership role/responsibility for something.
- coronavirus (CoV) (noun) – a large family of viruses that cause illness ranging from the common cold to more severe diseases. common signs of infection include respiratory symptoms, fever, cough, shortness of breath, and breathing difficulties. In more severe cases, the infection can cause pneumonia, severe acute respiratory syndrome, kidney failure, and even death. (Courtesy: WHO)
- vaccine (noun) – a biological preparation that improves immunity to a particular disease.
- pandemic (noun) – the worldwide spread of a new disease; The illness spreads around the world and typically affects a large number of people across a wide area.
- communique (noun) – official communication, press release, bulletin.
- outreach (noun) – the level of reaching out/activity/effort; involvement, influence.
- fellow (adjective) – having a specific quality/condition with someone/something.
- stated (adjective) – specified, clearly identified.
- consensus (noun) – an idea or opinion that is shared by all the people in a group, agreement, concurrence.
- counter (verb) – combat, confront, stand up to, put up a fight against, oppose, resist.
- hold (verb) – have.
- reference (noun) – mention of, comment on, remark about.
- non-market (adjective) – relating to something that does not involve a market.
- transparent (adjective) – open/candid, forthright, straightforward, honest.
- bonhomie (noun) – friendliness, warmth, geniality/affability.
- palpable (adjective) – noticeable, visible, recognizable, discernible, tangible, undeniable.
- difference (noun) – disagreement, dispute, difference of opinion, misunderstanding, argument, quarrel.
- contradiction (noun) – inconsistency, incongruity, mismatch.
- decade (noun) – a period of ten years.
- mantle (noun) – position, role, onus, duty, responsibility.
- premise (noun) – proposition, assumption, belief, thought.
- the haves and the have-nots (phrase) – the people who are very rich and the people who are very poor.
- anachronistic (adjective) – old-fashioned, bygone, outmoded.
- much more (phrase) – a lot more.
- course (noun) – plan/course of action, approach, policy, strategy.
- The Ministry of External Affairs (MEA) (noun) – The Ministry of External Affairs (abbreviated as MEA) of India, also known as the Foreign Ministry, is the government agency responsible for the conduct of foreign relations of India.
- aggression (noun) – hostility, combativeness, belligerence, bellicosity, antagonism, encroachment, offence, invasion, infringement.
- climate change (noun) – a long-term change in the Earth’s climate, or of a region on Earth (Courtesy: NASA).
- voice (verb) – express, make public, announce, mention, raise.
- clause (noun) – section, point, requirement, condition, provision.
- condemn (verb) – censure, criticize, castigate, attack, denounce, reprimand, rebuke, reprove.
- authoritarianism (noun) – autocracy, totalitarianism, draconianism.
- shutdown (noun) – closure of a (complete) system; closing down, winding up.
- manipulation (noun) – modification; controlling or influencing someone/something cleverly.
- violation (noun) – breach, contravention, infringement, invasion, defiance, non-observance.
- address (verb) – talk to, speak to, give a discourse to.
- ally (noun) – a country that has a strategic partnership with another country.
- walk the talk (phrase) – to do the things you have said you would do.
- clampdown (noun) – crackdown, suppression, prevention/restriction, stopping; restraint.
- given (preposition) – considering, taking into account, bearing in mind.