The Hindu Editorial (Aftershocks in Goa) – Jul 13, 2019
The near liquidation of the Congress legislature party in Goa,… For further reading, visit “The Hindu”. Below is today’s word list-1 for The Hindu Editorial (Aftershocks in Goa) – Jul 13, 2019.
To read this article, click here.
This preview is provided here with permission.
Courtesy: The Hindu
Today’s word list-1 for The Hindu Editorial (Aftershocks in Goa) – Jul 13, 2019:
- aftershock (noun) – a smaller earthquake that follows a larger earthquake; repercussion, aftermath, consequence.
- slide (noun) – fall, drop, slump/decline.
- defection (noun) – desertion, absconding, decamping.
- shrink (verb) – reduce, decrease, lessen.
- unseemly (adjective) – improper, inappropriate, undignified.
- fashion (noun) – manner, way, method.
- liquidation (noun) – collapse, close-down, closure/termination.
- on the heels of (phrase) – very soon after something, following closely after something.
- rebellion (noun) – dissent, nonconformity, defiance/subversion.
- tailspin (noun) – the condition of increasing disorder, disruption & panic.
- cobble together (phrasal verb) – prepare hastily, put together roughly, patch together.
- as things stand (phrase) – in the present situation.
- defector (noun) – dissenter, heretic, nonconformist.
- Anti-defection law (noun) – The 10th Schedule to the Constitution, popularly referred to as the ‘Anti-Defection Law,’ was inserted by the 52nd Amendment in 1985. The grounds of disqualification are specified in Paragraph 2 of the 10th Schedule. A member would incur a disqualification under paragraph 2 (1) (a) when he “voluntarily gives up his membership of a party” and under 2 (1) (b) when he/she votes (or abstains from voting) contrary to the directive issued by the party. (Courtesy: The Hindu).
- turn something on its head (phrase) – change something completely opposite to its originals.
- in the making (phrase) – developing, up and coming, budding, burgeoning.
- bid (noun) – attempt, effort, endeavour/try.
- dash (verb) – destroy, wreck, ruin/spoil/thwart.
- descending (verb) – declining, sinking, dipping.
- opportunism (noun) – expediency/exploitation, taking advantage, pragmatism.
- impel (verb) – incite, prompt, drive.
- lure (verb) – tempt, attract, persuade/coax.
- polar (adjective) – extreme, diametrically opposed, contradictory.
- lower the bars (phrase) – lower the standards.
- apparently (adverb) – seemingly, evidently, ostensibly.
- swiftly (adverb) – quickly, rapidly, fast.
- hail (verb) – acclaim, praise/applaud, commend.
- build (on) (phrasal verb) – develop, expand, enlarge (using something as a foundation).
- inherent (adjective) – intrinsic/innate; basic/fundamental, implicit.
- contradiction (noun) – disagreement, opposition, inconsistency; rebuttal/negation.
- spectrum (noun) – range, gamut, sweep; a wide range of positions, opinions, etc. between two extreme points.
- dynasty (noun) – family, line, succession.
- opportunistic (adjective) – opportunistic/selfish, egocentric, inward-looking.
- devoid of (noun) – lacking, without, free of/free from.
- augment (verb) – upgrade, boost, improve.
- plank (noun) – a fundamental & important point/principle on which something (political program, policy, etc) is based on.
- bleak (adjective) – unpromising, unfavourable, disadvantageous.
- renunciation (noun) – resignation, relinquishment, giving up.
- churn (noun) – disorder, confusion, mess up.
- rid (verb) – clear, free, make free, cleanse.
- tag (noun) – identity, label, name.
- rudderless (adjective) – lacking a sense of principles.
- successor (noun) – heir, next-in-line, descendant.
- scion (noun) – descendant, offshoot, heir of a family).
- harbinger (noun) – indicator, announcer, herald.
- grace (noun) – courtesy, courteousness/politeness, good manners.
1. Click each one of the words above for their definition, more synonyms, pronunciation, example sentences, phrases, derivatives, origin and etc from http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/.bigotry, narrow-mindedness
2. Definitions (elementary level) & Synonyms provided for the words above are my personal work and not that of Oxford University Press. Tentative definitions/meanings are provided for study purpose only and they may vary in different context.
3. This word list is for personal use only. Reproduction in any format and/or Commercial use of it is/are strictly prohibited.
Today’s word list-1 The Hindu Editorial (Aftershocks in Goa) – Jul 13, 2019: