The Hindu Editorial (A small step) – Apr 14, 2021
Emancipation is seldom a linear progression to the finish; the hurdles are many, some entrenched in the mind. The passing of amendments to the Medical Termination of Pregnancy (MTP) Act… For further reading, visit “The Hindu”. Below is today’s word list-2 for The Hindu Editorial (A small step) – Apr 14, 2021.
To read this article, click here.
This preview is provided here with permission.
Courtesy: The Hindu
The Hindu Editorial (A small step) – Apr 14, 2021:
- recognise (verb) – acknowledge, accept, admit; realize, understand, apprehend.
- primacy (noun) – importance, priority, preference.
- women’s agency (noun) – women’s ability/capacity for individualized choice and action.
- emancipation (noun) – liberation, freedom, freeing.
- seldom (adverb) – hardly, rarely, almost never.
- linear (adjective) – sequential, straight, undeviating; following in a logical order.
- progression (noun) – progress, process, advancement, development, passage.
- to the finish (phrase) – to a successful conclusion.
- hurdle (noun) – obstacle, difficulty, problem, barrier, impediment, obstruction, hindrance.
- entrench (verb) – ingrain, establish, embed.
- passing (noun) – enactment, ratification, acceptance, approval, authorization.
- Medical Termination of Pregnancy (MTP) Act, 1971 (noun) – It provides for the termination of certain pregnancies by registered medical practitioners on certain grounds (reasons).
- step forward (noun) – improvement, development, advancement, progress.
- giant leap (noun) – (very important) progress, advancement, development.
- push the envelope (phrase) – extend the limits of what is possible; try new things that have not been accepted or tried before.
- antediluvian (adjective) – out of date, old-fashioned, outmoded, outdated.
- primarily (adverb) – basically, especially, particularly.
- Foetal or Fetal (adjective) – related to the fetus (unborn child).
- anomaly (noun) – something different, abnormal, unusual; oddity, peculiarity, deviation, aberration, exception.
- shoulders (noun) – someone’s shoulders considered as bearing responsibility for something.
- consensus (noun) – an idea or opinion that is shared by all the people in a group, agreement, concurrence.
- clause (noun) – (legal) term, provision, stipulation, requirement, condition.
- confines (noun) – limits, borders, boundaries; purview.
- marital (adjective) – matrimonial; relating to marriage/wedding.
- trap in (verb) – confine, get stuck, get caught; trick, deceive.
- abortion (noun) – medical termination of pregnancy.
- extension (noun) – addition, addendum, augmentation, supplement, appendix.
- provision (noun) – clause, (legal) term, requirement, condition.
- admittedly (adverb) – actually, truly/verily, indeed.
- sex-selective (adjective) – relating to an attempt to control the sex (gender-max/female) of the offspring (child/baby) to achieve the desired sex (gender-male/female).
- keep one’s eye on (phrase) – oversee, supervise, inspect, observe, monitor.
- sex ratio (noun) – the ratio of males to females in a population.
- nosedive (verb) – decline, fall sharply; drop, sink, plunge, plummet, tumble, slump.
- stop short of (phrase) – balk at, shy away from, recoil from, draw back from. (“balk at” means “be unwilling to, be reluctant to, refuse to (do/accept something, because it is difficult, threatening, unpleasant, etc.”).
- at the heart of (phrase) – at the most important part of.
- reproduction (noun) – breeding, producing young offspring (child/baby).
- dramatis personae (plural noun) – persona, person, role, part (of a play/narrative).
- fetus (noun) – (unborn child); the spelling “foetus” is still used in some non-technical contexts.
- gynecologist (noun) – the medical practitioner who is specialised in dealing with women’s reproductive health.
- envisage (verb) – foresee, anticipate, expect.
- laborious (adjective) – difficult, tough, arduous, taxing, demanding.
- undergo (verb) – be subjected to, experience, go through.
- frustrate (verb) – obstruct, impede, hamper, hinder, thwart; annoy, vex, irritate.
- lead to (verb) – result in, cause, bring on, call forth, give rise to.
- seek (verb) – try, aim, attempt.
- surreptitiously (adverb) – secretively, stealthily, secretively, clandestinely, furtively, covertly.
- risk one’s life/neck (phrase) – to do something very dangerous (that puts one’s life in danger).
- retrograde (adjective) – unprogressive, negative, reverse/regressive.
- gestation (period) (noun) – pregnancy; development, formation (period).
- swear (verb) – promise, vow, affirm, assert, emphasize, stress.
- scarcely (adverb) – hardly, barely, only just.
- measure (noun) – action, step, procedure.
- count (verb) – matter, enter into consideration, be important/significant, signify.
- jagged (adjective) – rough, uneven, irregular, spiked, pointed.
- jagged line (noun) – rough or uneven surface/path with a lot of sharp points.
1. Click each one of the words above for their definition, more synonyms, pronunciation, example sentences, phrases, derivatives, origin and etc from http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/.
2. Definitions (elementary level) & Synonyms provided for the words above are my personal work and not that of Oxford University Press. Tentative definitions/meanings are provided for study purpose only and they may vary in different context.
3. This word list is for personal use only. Reproduction in any format and/or Commercial use of it is/are strictly prohibited.
The Hindu Editorial (A small step) – Apr 14, 2021: