The Hindu Editorial (A necessary reversion) – Jun 09, 2021
The Centre has announced a much-needed course correction in India’s vaccination policy with Prime Minister Narendra Modi taking the podium… For further reading, visit “The Hindu”. Below is today’s word list-1 for The Hindu Editorial (A necessary reversion) – Jun 09, 2021.
To read this article, click here.
This preview is provided here with permission.
Courtesy: The Hindu
The Hindu Editorial (A necessary reversion) – Jun 09, 2021:
- reversion (noun) – return (to a previous condition/method).
- go back (phrasal verb) – return to.
- centralised (adjective) – controlled by a single authority.
- procurement (noun) – the action of procuring/purchasing something.
- vaccine (noun) – a biological preparation that improves immunity to a particular disease.
- pandemic (noun) – the worldwide spread of a new disease; The illness spreads around the world and typically affects a large number of people across a wide area.
- much-needed (adjective) – needed to a large extent.
- course correction (noun) – modifying, improving, rectifying (the plan of action).
- vaccination (noun) – treatment with a vaccine to protect against a particular disease; immunization.
- take the podium (phrase) – (to get up &) speak to an audience.
- procure (verb) – buy, purchase.
- on one’s own (phrase) – alone, all alone, by oneself, all by oneself, independently, single-handedly.
- irrational (adjective) – unreasonable, illogical, groundless, baseless, unjustifiable.
- arbitrary (adjective) – unmotivated, unreasonable, unsupported, irrational, illogical, groundless, unjustifiable, wanton.
- salutary (adjective) – good, helpful/useful, beneficial, practical, valuable.
- no longer (phrase) – not anymore.
- shot (noun) – injection, inoculation (of a vaccine/drug).
- cap (verb) – set a limit on, put a ceiling on, limit, restrict.
- ceiling (noun) – upper limit, maximum, highest permissible level/price.
- predictability (noun) – certainty, foregone conclusion, predictable result.
- Covaxin (noun) – India’s first indigenous COVID-19 vaccine candidate (COVAXIN) developed by a Hyderabad-based company (Bharat Biotech) in collaboration with the ICMR (The Indian Council of Medical Research).
- Oxford vaccine/Covishield (noun) – (ChAdOx1 nCoV-19) or (AZD1222) is a COVID-19 vaccine candidate developed by Oxford University and AstraZeneca, UK Ltd. (named Covishield in India). Serum Institute of India (SII), a biotechnology company has partnered with global pharma giant AstraZeneca and Oxford University for this vaccine candidate ‘Covidshield’.
- desperately (adverb) – seriously, severely, urgently, pressingly, intensely.
- short of (phrase) – less than.
- right (adverb) – exactly, precisely, just.
- in the middle of (phrase) – during; in the (difficult) situation.
- undertake (verb) – begin, start; engage in, become involved in.
- devolve (verb) – transfer, delegate, assign, pass on, hand over.
- purview (noun) – range, scope, ambit, compass.
- stands to reason (phrase) – it is obvious, it is logical, it is sensible, it is understandable.
- invariably (adverb) – always, every time, each time.
- throw up (phrasal verb) – produce something.
- vaccine hesitancy (noun) – a reluctance or refusal to be vaccinated or to have one’s children vaccinated; reluctance or refusal to vaccinate despite the availability of vaccines.
- personnel (noun) – force, staff, employees, workforce.
- face with (verb) – deal with, tackle, confront, experience (a difficult situation).
- autonomy (noun) – self-determination, freedom.
- administer (verb) – dispense, provide, give, apply (a drug/vaccine).
- spat (noun) – quarrel, scuffle, tussle, fight, clash, skirmish.
- substantial (adjective) – considerable, significant, large.
- vaccinate (verb) – inoculate, administer, introduce (with a vaccine to provide immunity against a disease).
- dose (noun) – an amount/quantity of something (e.g. vaccine).
- foreseeable (adjective) – unsurprising, predictable, expected, anticipated reasonably.
- sub- (prefix) – under.
- stream (noun) – a continuous flow of something.
- Corbevax (noun) – Corbevax is a ‘recombinant protein sub-unit’ vaccine, which means it is made up of a specific part of SARS-CoV-2 the spike protein on the virus’s surface. This COVID-19 vaccine candidate is developed by Biological-E, an Indian biotechnology and biopharmaceutical company based in Hyderabad, India.
- vicinity (noun) – surrounding area, neighbourhood.
- roll-out (noun) – official launch/introduction.
- precede (verb) – come/go before, go in advance of, lead up to.
- truculent (adjective) – defiant, contentious, argumentative, combative, aggressive, confrontational.
- defence (noun) – protection, shielding, safeguarding.
- actor (noun) – participants (in an action).
- shortcoming (noun) – fault, flaw, imperfection/defect.
- meandering (noun) – zigzag route.
- wiser comparative adjective of wise (adjective) – well advised, well thought out, well judged, rational, logical.
- spirit (noun) – real/true meaning, attitude, intention, essense; motivating force.
- adopt (verb) – choose, opt for, embrace, take up.