The agreement reached between Myanmar and Bangladesh to repatriate Rohingya refugees suggests that the Chinese proposal has found some traction as a solution to the crisis…… For further reading, visit “The Hindu”.
This preview is provided here with permission.
Courtesy: The Hindu
Word List-2 (To Improve English Vocabulary)
- the devil is in the detail (phrase) – the details of something are always difficult & problematic part of it.
- repatriation (noun) – the return of someone to their own country. repatriate (verb) – send (someone) back to their own country; expulsion, expelling, banishment, exile.
- traction (noun) – an idea or a product gains popularity/acceptance.
- flee (verb) – flight, escape, exit.
- humanitarian crisis (noun) – humanitarian disaster; it is defined as a singular event or a series of events that are threatening in terms of health, safety or well being of a community or large group of people. It may be an internal or external conflict and usually occurs throughout a large land area.
- war of words (phrase) – argument, row/fight, disagreement.
- step in (phrasal verb) – intervene, intercede, get involved/take action.
- ceasefire (noun) – truce; a temporary stoppage of a war.
- devastate (verb) – shatter, shock, traumatize/distress.
- presumably (adverb) – probably, in all likelihood, undoubtedly.
- wary (adjective) – cautious, careful, circumspect/sceptical.
- proactive (adjective) – refer to someone acting in advance rather than awaiting something to happen.
- at stake (phrase) – at risk/issue or in question.
- protracted (adjective) – very long, prolonged, extended.
- perilous (adjective) – dangerous, risky, life-threatening.
- make headway (phrase) – make progress, make strides, gain ground.
- roll back (phrasal verb) – reverse the progress of something.
- render (verb) – depict, portray, represent.
Click each one of the words above for their definition, more synonyms, pronunciation, example sentences, phrases, derivatives, origin and etc from http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/.
Definitions (elementary level) & Synonyms provided for the words above are my personal work and not that of Oxford University Press. Tentative definitions/meanings are provided for study purpose only and they may vary in different context. Use it with the corresponding article published on the source (website) via the link provided.
This word list is for personal use only. Reproduction in any format and/or Commercial use of it is/are strictly prohibited.