What brings people together is not always enough to keep them together. The struggle for the Two Leaves election symbol may have encouraged the two factions of the….. For further reading, visit “The Hindu”.
This preview is provided here with permission.
Courtesy: The Hindu
Word List-1 (To Improve English Vocabulary)
- zilch (noun) – nothing, nil, nothing at all.
- faction (noun) – a small group, section, division (of dissenter within a large group).
- prospects (noun) – chances, possibilities, expectations.
- domineering (adjective) – authoritarian, high-handed; draconian.
- tactic (noun) – strategy, scheme, plan.
- legitimacy (noun) – conformity to the law/rules; justification.
- accentuate (verb) – highlight, underline, focus attention on.
- benefaction (noun) – offering, contribution, award.
- in sight (phrase) – near at hand; approaching, forthcoming.
- defer (verb) – postpone, put off, delay.
- come to light (phrase) – reveal, disclose, expose/uncover.
- out of the way (phrase) – dealt with, finished.
- malevolence (noun) – hostility, hatred, hate.
- fear-mongering (noun) – an act of spreading public fear intentionally on a particular topic/problem.
- hurtle (verb) – move, run, rush (in an uncontrolled manner).
- adverse (adjective) – unfavourable, disadvantageous, negative.
- undermine (verb) – weaken, compromise, diminish/reduce.
Click each one of the words above for their definition, more synonyms, pronunciation, example sentences, phrases, derivatives, origin and etc from http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/.
Definitions (elementary level) & Synonyms provided for the words above are my personal work and not that of Oxford University Press. Tentative definitions/meanings are provided for study purpose only and they may vary in different context. Use it with the corresponding article published on the source (website) via the link provided.
This word list is for personal use only. Reproduction in any format and/or Commercial use of it is/are strictly prohibited.