After a sharp fall at the beginning of the year, oil prices have risen dramatically in recent weeks. For further reading, visit “The Hindu”.
This preview is provided here with permission.
Courtesy: The Hindu
Today’s Word List-1
- slippery (noun) – evasive, unreliable, unpredictable.
- slick (noun) – smooth and persuasive but untrustworthy.
- tie someone (up) in knots (phrase) – make someone confused.
- Brent crude (noun) – a classification of crude oil produced from the oil platform in the North Sea.
- volatility (noun) – the state of being legally responsible to change in a very sudden or extreme way.
- owing to (phrase) – because of, as a result of, on account of.
- glut (noun) – surplus, excess, oversupply.
- shale supply (noun) – supply of shale oil. Shale is a fine-grained sedimentary rock in which natural gas is trapped underground. Shale oil is an unconventional (crude) oil produced from this type sedimentary rock.
- in the offing (phrase) – on the way, coming soon, likely to happen.
- in sync (phrase) – in agreement.
- call for (phrasal verb) – necessitate, demand, warrant/justify.
- roller-coaster mode (noun) – (figuratively) an experience with unexpected highs and lows, sudden and rapid changes in a short period of time.
- factor in (phrase) – included/added as a factor/point when making a decision.
- assertion (noun) – declaration, contention, statement.
- ally (verb) – combine, join, merge.
- moderate (verb) – lessen, decrease, reduce.
- reluctant (noun) – unwilling, disinclined, opposed.
- scale down (phrasal verb) – reduce, lower, decrease.
- in the face of (phrase) – when confronted with, despite, notwithstanding, regardless of.
- fly (verb) – display, show, exhibit.
- ostensibly (adverb) – apparently, seemingly, allegedly.
- litmus test (noun) – indicative test, measure/gauge, index.
- deregulation (noun) – the removal of regulations in a industry.
- reformist (adjective) – modern, new/advanced, forward-looking.
- credentials (noun) – achievement, aspect, quality.
Today’s Word List-1
Click each one of the words above for their definition, more synonyms, pronunciation, example sentences, phrases, derivatives, origin and etc from http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/.
Definitions (elementary level) & Synonyms provided for the words above are my personal work and not that of Oxford University Press. Tentative definitions/meanings are provided for study purpose only and they may vary in different context. Use it with the corresponding article published on the source (website) via the link provided.
This word list is for personal use only. Reproduction in any format and/or Commercial use of it is/are strictly prohibited.