It is not without reason that the presidential terms of reference (ToR) of the Fifteenth Finance Commission have raised questions, and the…… For further reading, visit “The Hindu”.
This preview is provided here with permission.
Courtesy: The Hindu
Today’s Advanced Word List 1:
- in tandem (phrase) – along side each other.
- radical (adjective) – revolutionary, progressive, reforming/essential.
- envisage (verb) – foresee, predict, imagine/envision.
- federalism (noun) – a system of government in which establishments such as states or provinces share power with a national government.
- contemporary (adjective) – novel/original, experimental, modernist.
- composite index (noun) – a combination of indexes intended to measure the overall performance over time.
- deprivation (noun) – poverty, hardship/destitution, financial distress.
- enumerate (verb) – calculate, compute, count.
- afflict (verb) – trouble, bother, burden.
- deliberately (adverb) – intentionally, purposely, expressly.
- leverage (verb) – use, utilize (to maximum advantage).
- seldom (adverb) – hardly, rarely, almost never.
- tier (noun) – grade, level/step, echelon.
- disaggregated (verb) – separate, divide.
- apparatus (noun) – structure, system/framework, organization.
- entrenched (adjective) – ingrained, established, embedded.
- open the door (phrase) – create opportunity (for success).
- boots on the ground (phrase) – ground troops in a military operation.
- force multiplier (noun) – something which enhances effort to produce more results.
- a shot in the dark (phrase) – guess, approximation, assumption.
- on the ground (phrase) – in a situation/place where things are happening really/practically.
- pilot (adjective) – experimental, trial, model.
- decisive (adjective) – resolute, firm, determined.
- paradigm (noun) – model, pattern/example; world view.
- broken promises (noun) – good intentions failed due to lack of strength & support are called broken promises.