The script was altered for the second time in two months but with far greater impact. Soon after Prime Minister Narendra Modi promised far-reaching changes to simplify the goods and….. For further reading, visit “The Hindu”.
This preview is provided here with permission.
Courtesy: The Hindu
Word List-2 (To Improve English Vocabulary)
- rationalise (verb) – streamline, make more efficient, hone/simplify.
- far-reaching (adjective) – extensive, wide-ranging, radical/comprehensive.
- tacit (adjective) – implicit, understood, implied/hinted.
- in a hurry (phrase) – doing things quickly / hastily / rapidly.
- ambit (noun) – scope, extent, limit/purview.
- threshold (noun) – level, limit; starting point.
- kick in (phrasal verb) – come into effect.
- under way (adverb) – in progress, going on, continuing/happening.
- spur (verb) – stimulate, encourage, motivate.
- inventory (noun) – unsold stock; an unsold supply of a product that are stored in a place.
- mandarin (noun) – a powerful officer, civil servant, functionary/bureaucrat.
- exchequer (noun) – funds, resources/finances, treasury.
- consensus (noun) – an idea or opinion that is shared by all the people in a group. agreement, concurrence.
- avail oneself of (phrase) – use, utilize, take advantage of.
- curious (adjective) – unusual, puzzling, mystifying/mysterious.
- degenerate (verb) – decline, get worse, weaken.
- institute (verb) – start, begin, initiate.
- explicit (adjective) – clear, direct, straightforward.
- rationale (noun) – reason/basis; principle; motivation.
- wistful (adjective) – regretful, longing, contemplative/daydreaming.
Click each one of the words above for their definition, more synonyms, pronunciation, example sentences, phrases, derivatives, origin and etc from http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/.
Definitions (elementary level) & Synonyms provided for the words above are my personal work and not that of Oxford University Press. Tentative definitions/meanings are provided for study purpose only and they may vary in different context. Use it with the corresponding article published on the source (website) via the link provided.
This word list is for personal use only. Reproduction in any format and/or Commercial use of it is/are strictly prohibited.