This preview is provided here with permission.
Courtesy: The Hindu
Today’s Word List-1
- water audit (noun) – a method of quantifying water flows and quality in simple or complex systems, with a view to reducing water usage and often saving money on otherwise unnecessary water use.
- bound to (adjective) – certain/sure, very likely, guaranteed.
- look forward to (phrasal verb) – anticipate, wait for, expect.
- Minimum Support Price (MSP) (noun) – it is a form of market intervention by the Government of India to insure agricultural producers against any sharp fall in farm prices.
- procurement (noun) – the action of buying or purchasing something.
- skew (noun) – distortion, misrepresentation, change.
- unremunerative (adjective) – futile, unprofitable, worthless/valueless.
- depress (verb) – sadden, make unhappy, upset/discourage.
- arrive at (phrasal verb) – achieve, attain, reach (a conclusion/decision).
- constructive (adjective) – positive, useful, helpful.
- fine-grained (adjective) – involving great attention to detail.
- make the most of (phrase) – Use something to the best advantage.
- pursue (verb) – engage in, follow, conduct.
- artificial recharge (noun) – also known as aquifer re-injection, planned recharge; it is a process by which excess surface water is directed into the ground—either by spreading on the surface, by using recharge wells, or by altering natural conditions to increase infiltration—to replenish (fill up) an aquifer. (aquifer is an underground layer of water-bearing rock).
- water stress (noun) – water scarcity; the lack of sufficient available fresh water resources to meet water demand.
- provision (noun) – supply, distribution, giving.
- staggering (adjective) – astonishing, shocking, surprising.
- inevitable (adjective) – unavoidable, sure to happen, unpreventable.
- barring (verb) – excluding, omitting, leaving out.
- El Nino (noun) – abnormal warming (of the Equatorial East of the Pacific that lies closer to the Americas). La Niña means abnormal cooling.
- drought (noun) – dry spell/period, lack of rain, shortage of water.
- harvest (verb) – collect, gather, obtain (resources for future use).
- community participation (noun) – the involvement of people in a community in projects to solve their own problems.
Today’s Word List-1
Click each one of the words above for their definition, more synonyms, pronunciation, example sentences, phrases, derivatives, origin and etc from http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/.
Definitions (elementary level) & Synonyms provided for the words above are my personal work and not that of Oxford University Press. Tentative definitions/meanings are provided for study purpose only and they may vary in different context. Use it with the corresponding article published on the source (website) via the link provided.
This word list is for personal use only. Reproduction in any format and/or Commercial use of it is/are strictly prohibited.