This preview is provided here with permission.
Courtesy: The Hindu
Today’s Word List-1
- escalate (verb) – intensify, heighten, make serious.
- make good (phrase) – succeed, be successful, do well.
- devastating (adjective) – shocking, traumatic, distressing.
- cruise missile (noun) – it is a guided missile that flies with constant speed to deliver a warhead at specified target over long distance with high accuracy.
- join hands (phrase) – work together.
- airbase (noun) – a base/place used by a military force for the operation of military aircraft.
- gut (verb) – destroy, demolish, wipe out.
- undertake (verb) – begin, start, engage in.
- ascertain (verb) – confirm, verify, discover/find out.
- watchdog (noun) – inspector, observer, ombudsman.
- requisite (adjective) – necessary, required, essential.
- flout (verb) – defy, disobey, ignore.
- bravado (noun) – boldness, bold manner, bombast/daredevil.
- provocation (noun) – prompting, inducement, incitement.
- deter (verb) – stop, prevent, halt/obstruct.
- drag into (verb) – involve in a matter unnecessarily.
- confrontation (noun) – conflict, battle, face-off.
- preside (over) (verb) – be in charge of, be responsible for, control, oversee.
- monstrous (adjective) – terrible, horrible, dreadful; .
- brute (adjective) – physical/bodily, crude, violent.
- ground reality (noun) – practical condition/situation.
- misery (noun) – hardship, trouble, difficulty/problem.
- unilateral (adjective) – relating to a method of taking decisions (on international relations) by a state (country) individually without considering other states (countries).
- aggressive (adjective) – insistent, vigorous, forceful.
- diplomacy (noun) – statesmanship; negotiations/discussions, international relations.
- long-lasting (adjective) – enduring, lasting, deep-rooted.
- mandate (noun) – order, directive, instruction.
Today’s Word List-1
Click each one of the words above for their definition, more synonyms, pronunciation, example sentences, phrases, derivatives, origin and etc from http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/.
Definitions (elementary level) & Synonyms provided for the words above are my personal work and not that of Oxford University Press. Tentative definitions/meanings are provided for study purpose only and they may vary in different context. Use it with the corresponding article published on the source (website) via the link provided.
This word list is for personal use only. Reproduction in any format and/or Commercial use of it is/are strictly prohibited.