As the 23rd conference of the UN Framework Convention on Climate Change in Bonn shifts into high gear, developing countries including India are focussing on the….. For further reading, visit “The Hindu”.
This preview is provided here with permission.
Courtesy: The Hindu
Word List-1 (To Improve English Vocabulary)
- climate change (noun) – a long-term change in the Earth’s climate, or of a region on Earth (Courtesy: NASA)
- imperative (noun) – necessary condition, essential, requirement.
- mitigation (noun) – alleviation, reduction; lessening.
- adaptation (noun) – alteration, modification, adjustment.
- destructive (adjective) – devastating, ruinous, disastrous/catastrophic.
- greenhouse gas (noun) – heat trapping gas; a gas (such as water vapor, carbon dioxide, methane, nitrous oxide, etc) in the atmosphere that absorbs and emits radiation, causing greenhouse effect and warming of Earth’s temperature (Courtesy: VOA Learning English).
- pledge (verb) – promise, vow, swear.
- heed (verb) – pay attention to, take notice of, listen to.
- predicate (verb) – base, establish, build.
- renewable energy (noun) – energy generated from the natural resources (such as water, wind, solar energy).
- drought (noun) – dry spell/period, lack of rain, shortage of water.
- (have) bearing (on) (noun) – relation; relevance; significance.
- give up (phrasal verb) – stop/cease, discontinue, desist from.
- mantle (noun) – role, onus/duty, responsibility.
- leapfrog (adjective) – relating to go over/get past (a stage or obstacle).
- paradigm (noun) – model, pattern, example.
- chalk out (phrasal verb) – plan, propose, devise.
- ambitious (adjective) – determined; challenging/demanding, formidable.
- break down (phrasal verb) – stop working, cease to function/work, go wrong.
- abatement (noun) – lessening, decrease, decline.
- negate (verb) – invalidate, nullify; reverse, annul.
Click each one of the words above for their definition, more synonyms, pronunciation, example sentences, phrases, derivatives, origin and etc from http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/.
Definitions (elementary level) & Synonyms provided for the words above are my personal work and not that of Oxford University Press. Tentative definitions/meanings are provided for study purpose only and they may vary in different context. Use it with the corresponding article published on the source (website) via the link provided.
This word list is for personal use only. Reproduction in any format and/or Commercial use of it is/are strictly prohibited.