The Supreme Court’s oral observations on Monday regarding the use of Aadhaar numbers by the government are significant, for they alter the narrative and potential scope of the ambitious unique identification programme. For further reading, visit “The Hindu”.
This preview is provided here with permission.
Courtesy: The Hindu
- ambitious (adjective) – determined, aggressive, purposeful.
- reiterate (verb) – repeat, say again, restate.
- surge (noun) – sudden increase, rise, growth.
- seed (verb) – cause (something) to begin to develop.
- no-frills account (noun) – normal/basic banking services provided to all (low-income group) citizens of the country with nil or minimum charges.
- credentials (noun) – documents, identification papers, bona fides.
- authenticate (verb) – verify, validate, confirm/certify.
- amount to (verb) – constitute, comprise, be equivalent to.
- dispel (verb) – banish, eliminate, dismiss.
- ambiguity (noun) – inexactness, doubtfulness, uncertainty.
- mandatory (adjective) – necessary, compulsory, binding; requisite.
- biometrics (noun) – metrics related to human (physical & behavioural) characteristics used for identification and access control.
- evade (verb) – avoid/escape paying (tax/duty).
- tag (verb) – categorize, label, designate/classify.
- short-sighted (adjective) – narrow-minded, unimaginative, lacking foresight.
- weed out (phrasal verb) – isolate, separate out, set apart.
- ghost beneficiary (noun) – bogus/fake beneficiary.
- pay off (phrasal verb) – be successful, succeed, be effective.
- stretch (verb) – extend, overtax, put a strain on.
- leeway (noun) – freedom, liberty, licence/elbow room.
Click each one of the words above for their definition, more synonyms, pronunciation, example sentences, phrases, derivatives, origin and etc from http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/.
Definitions (elementary level) & Synonyms provided for the words above are my personal work and not that of Oxford University Press. Tentative definitions/meanings are provided for study purpose only and they may vary in different context. Use it with the corresponding article published on the source (website) via the link provided.
This word list is for personal use only. Reproduction in any format and/or Commercial use of it is/are strictly prohibited.