There is usually little to be gained in delaying the inevitable by a day or two. After the Kerala High Court passed strictures against him for filing a…. For further reading, visit “The Hindu”.
This preview is provided here with permission.
Courtesy: The Hindu
Word List-1 (To Improve English Vocabulary)
- last resort (phrase) – a final course of action when all else has failed; temporary solution, makeshift; ultimate, final, eventual.
- the inevitable (noun) – a situation which is unavoidable.
- stricture (noun) – constraint, restriction, limitation/control.
- inexplicably (adverb) – in a way something can not be accountable /explainable/ understandable.
- dither (verb) – hesitate, be in two minds, be undecided/unsure.
- embarrass (verb) – upset, disconcert/discomfit, make uncomfortable.
- encroachment (noun) –taking away (gradually) of others’ areas (beyond acceptable limits).
- stake (noun) – share, investment, involvement.
- step down (phrasal verb) – resign, withdraw, give up one’s job.
- propriety (noun) – morality, correctness, decency.
- reprimand (noun) – rebuke, scolding, criticism.
- tide over (phrasal verb) – sustain/keep going; help/assist.
- engulf (verb) – affect/disturb, overwhelm, overrun.
- betray (verb) – reveal, expose, disclose/uncover.
- nose-in-the-air (phrase) – an unfriendly arrogant manner, haughtily. thinking oneself better than others.
- head-in-the-sand (phrase) – avoiding/ignoring the facts which are unpleasant.
- under a cloud (phrase) – under suspicion, discredited, disgraced.
- reclamation (noun) – rehabilitation, renewal, reformation.
- rivulet (noun) – very small river or stream.
- be bound by (verb) – limit, restrict/restrain, confine.
- wash (verb) – be accepted, be plausible, be convincing.
- in the face of (phrase) – despite/in spite of, notwithstanding, regardless of.
- boycott (verb) – avoid, ignore, snub/spurn.
- on the ground (phrase) – in a situation/place where things are happening really/practically.
- strident (adjective) – (of opinions/comments) harsh/rough, loud, grating.
- portfolio (noun) – the position/duties of a minister/secretary of state.
- sting operation (noun) – a deceptive/trickery operation designed to catch a person committing a crime.
- deft (adjective) – skilful, adept, efficient/impressive.
- manoeuvre (noun) – stratagem, tactic/trick, scheme.
Click each one of the words above for their definition, more synonyms, pronunciation, example sentences, phrases, derivatives, origin and etc from http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/.
Definitions (elementary level) & Synonyms provided for the words above are my personal work and not that of Oxford University Press. Tentative definitions/meanings are provided for study purpose only and they may vary in different context. Use it with the corresponding article published on the source (website) via the link provided.
This word list is for personal use only. Reproduction in any format and/or Commercial use of it is/are strictly prohibited.