The Hindu Editorial (Winds of change) – Jun 05, 2021
In Israel’s fractious political landscape, Benjamin Netanyahu has been known as the master of survival. In power since 2009, he has seen allies come and go,… For further reading, visit “The Hindu”. Below is today’s word list-2 for The Hindu Editorial (Winds of change) – Jun 05, 2021.
To read this article, click here.
This preview is provided here with permission.
Courtesy: The Hindu
The Hindu Editorial (Winds of change) – Jun 05, 2021:
- winds of change (phrase) – influential events/actions that result in significant political/social changes.
- coalition (noun) – alliance, union, partnership.
- unlikely (adjective) – improbable, not likely, doubtful, dubious, unexpected.
- ideological (adjective) – relating to a system of ideas.
- contradiction (noun) – conflict, clash, disagreement, opposition, inconsistency, incongruity, mismatch.
- fractious (adjective) – argumentative, quarrelsome, contentious, controversial, difficult (to control), disagreeable.
- landscape (noun) – the distinctive features (of a field of activity).
- survival (noun) – the state of living/existing continuously, despite difficulties.
- ally (noun) – partner, supporting (political) party (with common interests).
- come and go (phrase) – be transitory, be temporary; not to be permanent.
- protégé (noun) – follower, dependant, disciple; student, trainee.
- hardly (adverb) – barely, almost not.
- overtake (verb) – better, exceed, surpass, overshadow, eclipse, outshine.
- oust (verb) – remove, dislodge, overthrow.
- centrist (adjective) – relating to a person whose political opinions are not extreme, falling between those of liberals and conservatives.
- right-wing (adjective) – conservative, rightist, ultra-right, alt-right.
- pro- (prefix) – supporting.
- settler (noun) – colonist, immigrant.
- left-wing (noun) – the leftist, socialist, communist.
- far-right (adjective) – relating to the extreme right-wing of a political party or group; extremely conservative, rightist.
- Knesset (proper noun) – the unicameral parliament/legislature of Israel. The 120 members of the Knesset (MKs) are popularly elected every four years.
- unicameral (adjective) – consisting/having only one chamber ((in a legislative body).
- razor-thin (adjective) – very/extremely thin.
- keep/put pressure on (phrase) – to try to influence/persuade someone to do something in a certain method.
- sail through (phrasal verb) – succeed easily at, gain success in easily, pass easily.
- conflicting (adjective) – contradictory, contrary, opposite.
- feeble (adjective) – poor, weak, ineffective.
- under way (phrase) – in progress, happening, occurring, taking place.
- on one’s own (phrase) – alone, all alone, by oneself, all by oneself, independently, single-handedly.
- short-lived (adjective) – brief, short, short-term, temporary, transitory.
- spectrum (noun) – compass, gamut, ambit; wide range of something.
- untouchable (noun) – an unacceptable person who is ostracized/excluded from a group/society; persona non grata.
- mainstream (noun) – something (certain beliefs/ideas/activities) which are accepted or recognized by most people as normal or typical.
- wall (noun) – obstacle, barrier, barricade.
- vote out (phrasal verb) – to remove/oust someone from a position/office by voting.
- trial (noun) – hearing, inquiry, litigation, judicial proceedings.
- shield (noun) – protection, safeguard, cover, shelter.
- premiership (noun) – the office/position of a prime minister; the head of government.
- Gaza (noun) – a Palestinian city in the Gaza Strip. Gaza Strip is a self-governing Palestinian territory surrounded by the Mediterranean Sea, Israel, and Egypt.
- break out (phrasal verb) – flare up, begin/start suddenly, erupt, burst out.
- (be) couple with (verb) – combine, integrate, connect, incorporate, link.
- allege (verb) – claim, accuse, charge.
- surrender (verb) – capitulate, give in, yield, concede, back down; give up, relinquish, renounce, forgo.
- Hamas (noun) – Hamas is an Islamist militant group based in Gaza. It won the legislative elections in 2006 to reinforce its power in Gaza Strip. Hamas (particularly its military wing) is designated a terrorist group by Israel, the United States, European Union, and the United Kingdom, as well as other powers. Its name is an Arabic acronym for the Islamic Resistance Movement. It formed in 1987 as a “resistance” group, pledging to destroy Israel and replace it with an all-Palestinian state. Hamas originally had a dual purpose of carrying out an armed struggle against Israel – led by its military wing, – and delivering social welfare programmes in Gaza Strip.
- ceasefire (noun) – a negotiated agreement that will be accompanied by other associated commitments to de-escalate the fighting; a temporary stoppage of war, truce, armistice.
- catch (verb) – become trapped, become stuck, become entangled.