The Hindu Editorial (Virus marches on) – Feb 28, 2020
Even as the number of laboratory confirmed cases in Wuhan and other parts of mainland China has come down in the last few days (78,497 cases and 2,744 deaths as on February 27),… For further reading, visit “The Hindu”. Below is today’s word list-1 for The Hindu Editorial (Virus marches on) – Feb 28, 2020.
To read this article, click here.
This preview is provided here with permission.
Courtesy: The Hindu
Today’s word list-1 for The Hindu Editorial (Virus marches on) – Feb 28, 2020:
- march on (verb) – move forward, advance, progress (unstoppably).
- COVID-19 (noun) – coronovirus disease 2019.
- cause for concern (phrase) – reason to worry.
- come down (phrasal verb) – decline, reduce, lessen.
- coronavirus (CoV)(noun) – a large family of viruses that cause illness ranging from the common cold to more severe diseases. common signs of infection include respiratory symptoms, fever, cough, shortness of breath and breathing difficulties. In more severe cases, infection can cause pneumonia, severe acute respiratory syndrome, kidney failure and even death. (Courtesy: WHO)
- novel coronavirus (nCoV) (SARS-CoV-2) (noun) – a new strain (type/variety) coronavirus that has not been previously identified in humans. (Courtesy: WHO)
- unchecked (adjective) – uncontrolled, unconstrained, unrestricted.
- so far (phrase) – until now, up to the present, up to this point.
- go up (phrasal verb) – rise or increase.
- vessel (noun) – ship, yacht, boat.
- overshoot (noun) – exceed, be greater than, be more than.
- indeed (adverb) – in fact, actually, undeniably.
- alarming (adjective) – worrying, disturbing, shocking/distressing.
- cult (noun) – sect; a social group that is defined by its unusual religious, spiritual, or philosophical beliefs; A system of religious beliefs and its body of adherents; a religion regarded as ‘unorthodox or spurious’.
- at one’s service (phrase) – be available to help/use to someone.
- fan out (verb) – spread, unfold, outspread.
- aid (verb) – help, hasten, accelerate.
- arduous (adjective) – demanding, tough, challenging.
- contain (verb) – control, limit, restrain.
- affiliation (noun) – connection, relationship, rapport.
- far fewer (phrase) – much less (with a large difference).
- cluster (noun) – group, bunch, mass (of).
- apparent (adjective) – clear, evident, obvious.
- ground (noun) – reason, factor, basis.
- shut down (phrasal verb) – close, discontinue, cease operation, stop.
- fertile (adjective) – able to reproduce, generative.
- fertile ground (noun) – a condition which generates/produces a lot of something (opportunities, results etc,.).
1. Click each one of the words above for their definition, more synonyms, pronunciation, example sentences, phrases, derivatives, origin and etc from http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/.
2. Definitions (elementary level) & Synonyms provided for the words above are my personal work and not that of Oxford University Press. Tentative definitions/meanings are provided for study purpose only and they may vary in different context.
3. This word list is for personal use only. Reproduction in any format and/or Commercial use of it is/are strictly prohibited.
Today’s word list-1 The Hindu Editorial (Virus marches on) – Feb 28, 2020: