The Hindu Editorial (Trump moves on) – Feb 08, 2020
The acquittal of U.S. President Donald Trump on Wednesday, of impeachment charges in the Senate,… For further reading, visit “The Hindu”. Below is today’s word list-2 for The Hindu Editorial (Trump moves on) – Feb 08, 2020.
To read this article, click here.
This preview is provided here with permission.
Courtesy: The Hindu
Today’s word list-2 for The Hindu Editorial (Trump moves on) – Feb 08, 2020:
- move on (phrasal verb) – progress, prosper, get better, gain ground.
- acquittal (noun) – declaration of innocence, clearing/discharge/release, absolution.
- impeachment (noun) – the act of charging or accusing (a public official) with a crime done while in office.
- acrimonious (adjective) – angry, bitter, harsh, sharp (in language or tone while argumenting).
- partisan (adjective) – biased, sectarian, factional, one-sided.
- impeach (verb) – charge or accuse/indict (a public official) with a crime done while in office.
- vindication (noun) – justification, warrant, rationalization.
- far from (phrase) – not, not at all, nowhere near.
- party line (noun) – policy, plan of action, principles (by a political party).
- convict (verb) – find guilty.
- hold/stand firm (phrase) – continue to support someone/something despite opposition.
- break ranks (phrase) – fail to maintain unity/solidarity/agreement.
- irrespective of (adjective) – regardless of, notwithstanding, whatever.
- hold someone responsible/accountable for (phrase) – blame someone for something.
- cost (noun) – loss.
- tirade (noun) – attack, verbal onslaught, rant; a long talk of criticism/accusation.
- witch hunt (noun) – it means to find and punish people believed to be evil- even if they were not. It does also mean an unfair campaign by one side against its political opponents.
- narrative (noun) – a representation of a particular situation; portrayal/ account.
- dent (verb) – undermine, reduce, lessen.
- pollster (noun) – a person who does opinion polls.
- furthermore (adverb) – moreover, also, additionally, besides.
- scandal (noun) – impropriety, misconduct, wrongdoing.
- righteous (adjective) – law-abiding, honest, principled.
- caucus (noun) – (in the US) a party-organized gathering of members to discuss their presidential preferences, elect local party leadership and discuss issues that make up the party’s platform. A closed meeting of supporters or members of a specific political party or movement. It is also defined as hours-long voting meeting run by a political party.
- Iowa caucus (noun) – (in the US) the first-in-the-nation caucuses that kick off the start of the primary election season. When it comes to choosing a presidential candidate, Iowa (a Midwestern U.S. state) traditionally goes first.
- counter-narrative (noun) – an alternative view to the existing/earlier narrative (representation/description).
- protectionist (adjective) – relating to the use of tariff and non-tariff restrictions on imports to protect domestic producers from foreign competition.
- bellicose (adjective) – belligerent, aggressive, hostile, confrontational.
- vindictive (adjective) – vengeful, revengeful, avenging/unforgiving.
- mess up (phrasal verb) – mismanage, mishandle, misconduct.
- embarrass (verb) – shame, humiliate, discomfit.
- wrangling (noun) – long dispute, argument, quarrel.
- summon (verb) – call for, ask for, request/demand the presence of.
- transparent (adjective) – obvious, clear, unmistakable.
- primary (noun) – (in the US) an election in which members of the same political party run against each other for the chance to be in a larger and more important election, especially presidential election.
1. Click each one of the words above for their definition, more synonyms, pronunciation, example sentences, phrases, derivatives, origin and etc from http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/.
2. Definitions (elementary level) & Synonyms provided for the words above are my personal work and not that of Oxford University Press. Tentative definitions/meanings are provided for study purpose only and they may vary in different context.
3. This word list is for personal use only. Reproduction in any format and/or Commercial use of it is/are strictly prohibited.
Today’s word list-2 The Hindu Editorial (Trump moves on) – Feb 08, 2020: