The Hindu Editorial (Trump in North Korea) – Jul 03, 2019
U.S. President Donald Trump made history on Sunday when he stepped on to North Korean soil from the demilitarised zone (DMZ)… For further reading, visit “The Hindu”. Below is today’s word list-2 for The Hindu Editorial (Trump in North Korea) – Jul 03, 2019.
To read this article, click here.
This preview is provided here with permission.
Courtesy: The Hindu
Today’s word list-2 for The Hindu Editorial (Trump in North Korea) – Jul 03, 2019:
- diplomacy (noun) – international politics, foreign affairs, foreign policy.
- demilitarised (adjective) – relating to an area wherein all military forces are removed.
- dictatorship (noun) – despotism, autocracy, absolute rule.
- off the cuff (phrase) – impromptu, unprepared, unplanned.
- seize the opportunity (phrase) – take advantage of, benefit, gain.
- parley (noun) – negotiation, talk/dialogue, discussion.
- stall (verb) – obstruct, stop, block.
- credit (noun) – praise, commendation, admiration/kudos.
- infuse (verb) – add, introduce, impart.
- negotiation (noun) – discussion, conference, deliberation.
- impatient (adjective) – discontented, displeased, agitated/restless.
- sanctions (noun) – action taken, or an order given to force a country to obey international laws by limiting or stopping trade with that country, by not allowing economic aid for that country, etc (Courtesy: VOA Learning English).
- logjam (noun) – unsettled situation.
- impasse (noun) – deadlock, stalemate, stand-off.
- address (verb) – attend to, tackle, deal with.
- cryptic (adjective) – confusing, mystifying, perplexing/puzzling.
- in principle (phrase) – in general, in essence, in the main.
- denuclearize (verb) – remove nuclear weapons from (a country, state, etc).
- peninsula (noun) – an area of land almost surrounded by water (on three sides) and one side attached to the mainland.
- chiefly (noun) – mainly, primarily, principally.
- compromise (noun) – agreement, understanding, settlement.
- warrant (verb) – guarantee, affirm, promise; justify, vindicate.
- reciprocation (noun) – counteraction, redress, compensation.
- diversified (adjective) – consisting of many different people/things; different, various.
- go beyond (phrasal verb) – exceed, do more than.
- resume (verb) – restart, recommence, begin again.
- reprieve (noun) – cancellation, suspension, postponement (of something undesirable event).
- stick to (phrasal verb) – abide by, adhere to, keep/hold to.
- maximalist (adjective) – denoting an extreme view.
- denuclearisation (noun) – the act of removing nuclear weapons from a place.
- run into (phrasal verb) – experience, encounter, meet with.
- insurance (noun) – protection, defence, safeguard, safety measure.
- aggression (noun) – audacity, assertiveness, determination/forcefulness.
- accede (verb) – agree to, accept/endorse, surrender to.
- freeze (noun) – suspension, fix, hold.
- shut down (phrasal verb) – discontinue, cease activity, close.
- constructive (adjective) – useful/helpful, productive, practical/effective/beneficial.
- reciprocal (adjective) – mutual, common, corresponding.
- confidence-building measures (noun) – confidence-building measures (CBMs) are planned procedures to prevent hostilities, to avert escalation, to reduce military tension, and to build mutual trust between countries.
- diplomatic (adjective) – (delicate & sensitive) consular, foreign-policy, political.
- outreach (noun) – the level of reaching out/activity/effort; involvement.
- momentum (noun) – impetus, driving force, power/strength.
- in vain (phrase) – unsuccessfully, futile, useless.
1. Click each one of the words above for their definition, more synonyms, pronunciation, example sentences, phrases, derivatives, origin and etc from http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/.bigotry, narrow-mindedness
2. Definitions (elementary level) & Synonyms provided for the words above are my personal work and not that of Oxford University Press. Tentative definitions/meanings are provided for study purpose only and they may vary in different context.
3. This word list is for personal use only. Reproduction in any format and/or Commercial use of it is/are strictly prohibited.
Today’s word list-2 The Hindu Editorial (Trump in North Korea) – Jul 03, 2019: