The Hindu Editorial (The war within) – Nov 10, 2020
When Abiy Ahmed became Ethiopia’s Prime Minister in April 2018, hopes were high that the former Army intelligence officer would bring a new dawn to the country… For further reading, visit “The Hindu”. Below is today’s word list-2 for The Hindu Editorial (The war within) – Nov 10, 2020.
To read this article, click here.
This preview is provided here with permission.
Courtesy: The Hindu
Today’s word list-2 for The Hindu Editorial (The war within) – Nov 10, 2020:
- ethnicity (noun) – a category of people who identify with each other based on common language, ancestral, social, cultural, or national experiences.
- intelligence (noun) – (military) information.
- dawn (noun) – beginning, start, starting point, development.
- ethnic (adjective) – relating to a population subgroup (cultural, national, traditional/folk) with a common national or cultural tradition.
- fault-line (noun) – a divisive issue; a difference of opinion.
- early on (phrase) – during an early/initial stage of something (process or activity).
- reach out (phrasal verb) – contact someone to obtain/offer help/assistance/cooperation.
- curb (noun) – restraint, control, restriction, limitation.
- make peace (phrase) – re-establish, reconcile, restore friendly relations.
- Eritrea (noun) – a northeast African country on the Red Sea coast.
- fall apart (phrasal verb) – disintegrate, break up, fall into pieces.
- Tigray People’s Liberation Front (TPLF) (noun) – a political party in Ethiopia.
- in response to (phrase) – regarding, concerning.
- federal (adjective) – relating to a system of government in which establishments such as states or provinces share power with a national government.
- base (noun) – (military) camp, post.
- militia (noun) – armed forces, military unit, soldiery (from the civil population to support main forces).
- coalition (noun) – alliance, union, partnership.
- bring an end to (phrase) – to stop something; to finish something; to complete something.
- dictatorship (noun) – totalitarianism, absolute rule, autocracy.
- play a part/role (phrase) – contribute to, be instrumental in, be a factor in.
- The Ethiopian People’s Revolutionary Democratic Front (EPRDF) (noun) – an ethnic federalist political coalition in Ethiopia. The EPRDF consisted of four political parties, namely Tigray People’s Liberation Front, Amhara Democratic Party, Oromo Democratic Party and Southern Ethiopian People’s Democratic Movement.
- purge (verb) – clear out, remove, get rid of, dismiss, absolve.
- in the hands of (phrase) – in the possession of.
- alienate (verb) – set apart, isolate, set against, separate, cut off, divide.
- cite (verb) – refer to, adduce, make reference to, invoke.
- coronavirus (CoV) (noun) – a large family of viruses that cause illness ranging from the common cold to more severe diseases. common signs of infection include respiratory symptoms, fever, cough, shortness of breath and breathing difficulties. In more severe cases, infection can cause pneumonia, severe acute respiratory syndrome, kidney failure and even death. (Courtesy: WHO)
- pandemic (noun) – the worldwide spread of a new disease; The illness spreads around the world and typically affects a large number of people across a wide area.
- power grab (noun) – (in politics) an effort to get control over something opportunistically/selfishly.
- defiance (noun) – resistance, opposition, confrontation.
- lead to (verb) – result in, cause, bring on, call forth, give rise to.
- outburst (noun) – eruption, outflow/release, outbreak, flare up (of something like emotion).
- Tigrayans (noun) – an ethnic group found in the Tigray Region in northern Ethiopia and Eritrea.
- make up (phrasal verb) – comprise, form, constitute, account for.
- outsized (adjective) – huge, very large, massive.
- influence (noun) – power, authority, sway, leverage.
- whereas (conjunction) – while on the contrary, in comparison with the fact that.
- marginalisation (noun) – an act of making something as insignificant/unimportant.
- mandate (noun) – approval, acceptance, ratification.
- unintended (adjective) – unplanned, unexpected, inadvertent, incidental/accidental.
- consequence (noun) – result, outcome, effect; ramification, repercussion.
- critic (noun) – censurer, attacker, fault-finder.
- take away (phrasal verb) – remove, take out, deprive, divest, strip.
- break out (phrasal verb) – escape from, abscond from, flee from.
- run high (phrase) – be strong, be intense, be vehement, be fervent.
- wear thin (phrase) – (feeling, explanation, activity & etc.) to become weaker; to become less effective; to become out-of-date or less popular; to become less convincing; to become less acceptable (gradually).
- mistake (verb) – misread, misunderstand, misinterpret, get wrong; be wrong.
- cut one’s teeth (phrase) – get some initial experience in a particular field of activity.
- junta (noun) – group, gang.
- common ground (phrase) – shared opinions, beliefs (or interests).
- decentralise (verb) – transfer of the power/control (of a department/organisation/government) from a single place to other locations.
1. Click each one of the words above for their definition, more synonyms, pronunciation, example sentences, phrases, derivatives, origin and etc from http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/.
2. Definitions (elementary level) & Synonyms provided for the words above are my personal work and not that of Oxford University Press. Tentative definitions/meanings are provided for study purpose only and they may vary in different context.
3. This word list is for personal use only. Reproduction in any format and/or Commercial use of it is/are strictly prohibited.
Today’s word list-2 The Hindu Editorial (The war within) – Nov 10, 2020: