The Hindu Editorial (The threat of Ebola) – Jul 19, 2019
After holding itself back on three occasions, the World Health Organization has declared the Ebola virus disease outbreak in the Democratic Republic of the Congo a Public Health Emergency of International Concern. For further reading, visit “The Hindu”. Below is today’s word list-2 for The Hindu Editorial (The threat of Ebola) – Jul 19, 2019.
To read this article, click here.
This preview is provided here with permission.
Courtesy: The Hindu
Today’s word list-2 for The Hindu Editorial (The threat of Ebola) – Jul 19, 2019:
- hold something back (phrase) – withhold, hide/conceal, keep quiet/silent about.
- outbreak (noun) – outburst, epidemic, sudden appearance/occurrence.
- hotspot (noun) – a place of significant activity.
- amid (preposition) – in the middle of, surrounded by; during.
- trigger (noun) – an event that becomes a cause/reason something.
- handful (noun) – few, one or two, a small number.
- criterion (noun) – basis, standard, norm. (criteria is the plural form of criterion).
- pandemic (noun) – an outbreak of a disease.
- pathogen (noun) – bacteria/virus that causes disease.
- reluctance (noun) – unwillingness, disinclination, hesitation.
- vaccine (noun) – a biological preparation that improves immunity to a particular disease.
- vaccination (noun) – treatment with a vaccine to protect against a particular disease; immunization.
- immunise from (verb) – shield from, safeguard from, protect from.
- efficacy (noun) – effectiveness, efficiency, power/ability to give estimated results.
- owing to (phrase) – because of, as a result of, on account of.
- immunisation (noun) – the process whereby a person is made immune or resistant to an infectious disease, typically by the administration of a vaccine. Vaccines stimulate the body’s own immune system to protect the person against subsequent infection or disease.
1. Click each one of the words above for their definition, more synonyms, pronunciation, example sentences, phrases, derivatives, origin and etc from http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/.bigotry, narrow-mindedness
2. Definitions (elementary level) & Synonyms provided for the words above are my personal work and not that of Oxford University Press. Tentative definitions/meanings are provided for study purpose only and they may vary in different context.
3. This word list is for personal use only. Reproduction in any format and/or Commercial use of it is/are strictly prohibited.
Today’s word list-2 The Hindu Editorial (The threat of Ebola) – Jul 19, 2019: