The Hindu Editorial (Terror in Germany) – Feb 22, 2020
To read this article, click here.
This preview is provided here with permission.
Courtesy: The Hindu
Today’s word list-2 for The Hindu Editorial (Terror in Germany) – Feb 22, 2020:
- far-right (adjective) – relating to the extreme right wing of a political party or group.
- extremist (noun) – militant, radical, fanatic, hardliner.
- rampage (noun) – wild/violent behaviour, running amok, berserk.
- heighten (verb) – increase, amplify, intensify.
- recurrent (adjective) – recurring, regular, periodic, happening regularly.
- hate crime (noun) – any criminal offence that is carried out because of hostility or prejudice based on disability, race, religion, transgender identity or sexual orientation.
- refugee (noun) – displaced person, asylum seeker, escapee/exile.
- chilling (adjective) – frightening, terrifying, disturbing/horrifying.
- powerhouse (noun) – a person/country with a lot of energy, power & influence.
- perpetrator (noun) – someone who does immoral, harmful and illegal activity; offender, criminal, wrongdoer/evil-doer, culprit.
- gun down (verb) – shoot down.
- shisha bar (noun) – hookah bar/lounge; a place where shisha (flavoured tobacco) is served to the customers. (hookah means a pipe/apparatus for inhaling smoke).
- xenophobic (adjective) – prejudiced, intolerant; hyper-nationalist, racist, jingoistic.
- advocate (verb) – support, promote, champion/espouse.
- lethal (adjective) – fatal, deadly, life-threatening.
- wield (verb) – use, put to use, employ, handle.
- intelligence (noun) – (military &political) information.
- stress (verb) – emphasize, insist on, draw attention to.
- potential (adjective) – possible, likely, prospective, probable.
- call into question (phrase) – doubt, distrust, suspect.
- complacent (adjective) – smug, self-satisfied, self-admiring, pleased/proud of oneself, self-approving.
- neo-nazi (noun) – authoritarian, totalitarian, extreme right-winger.
- liberal (adjective) – progressive, forward-thinking, enlightened, broad-minded, reformist.
- asylum-seeker (noun) – someone seeking a foreign country to provide protection to him/her who is unable or unwilling to return to their home country due to fear of persecution (harm, harassment or oppression); displaced person, exile, outcast.
- narrowly (adverb) – only just, just, barely.
- evidently (adverb) – obviously, clearly, seemingly, apparently.
- isolated (adjective) – unique, single, individual/sole.
- step up (phrasal verb) – increase, strengthen, accelerate.
- ward off (phrasal verb) – prevent, avert, oppose/resist.
- side with (verb) – support, uphold, stand by.
- staunch (adjective) – firm, vigorous, strong.
- champion (noun) – advocate, proponent, promoter, supporter.
- ill-afford (verb) – unable to afford.
- dither (verb) – hesitate, be in two minds, be undecided/unsure.
- constituent (noun) – voter, elector, member of the electorate, member of a constituency.
- wean away from (phrasal verb) – to detach, disconnect, separate someone from depending on something.
- hardline (adjective) – relating to a group/a political party with people who support a strict ideas and they are extreme & uncompromising.
- massacre (noun) – carnage, mass murder, mass killing.
1. Click each one of the words above for their definition, more synonyms, pronunciation, example sentences, phrases, derivatives, origin and etc from http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/.
2. Definitions (elementary level) & Synonyms provided for the words above are my personal work and not that of Oxford University Press. Tentative definitions/meanings are provided for study purpose only and they may vary in different context.
3. This word list is for personal use only. Reproduction in any format and/or Commercial use of it is/are strictly prohibited.
Today’s word list-2 The Hindu Editorial (Terror in Germany) – Feb 22, 2020: