The Hindu Editorial (Teachers and quotas) – Jul 03, 2019
Legislation to overcome the effects of court verdicts is not always a good idea. For further reading, visit “The Hindu”. Below is today’s word list-1 for The Hindu Editorial (Teachers and quotas) – Jul 03, 2019.
To read this article, click here.
This preview is provided here with permission.
Courtesy: The Hindu
Today’s word list-1 for The Hindu Editorial (Teachers and quotas) – Jul 03, 2019:
- cadre (noun) – key group, small group, team.
- the disadvantaged (noun) – underprivileged, depressed (people).
- exception (noun) – deviation, special case, departure, anomaly.
- ought to (modal verb) – must, should.
- preserve (verb) – uphold, maintain/continue, protect.
- promulgate (verb) – put into effect, enact, implement.
- roster (noun) – a list, register, schedule (of the people of a team/organisation).
- seek (verb) – try, attempt, aspire.
- get around (phrasal verb) – overcome, surmount, triumph over, resolve/sort out.
- strike down (phrasal verb) – abolish, annul, nullify (a law or regulation).
- in short (phrase) – briefly, in essence, in sum.
- pool (noun) – a group of people.
- perspective (noun) – view/outlook, aspect, approach.
- manifestly (adverb) – clearly, obviously, apparently.
- beneficiary (noun) – inheritor, receiver, assignee.
- counterpoint (noun) – contradiction, opposition, disagreement.
- accommodate (verb) – help/assist, serve; adjust/attune.
- decade (noun) – a period of ten years.
- norm (noun) – standard, convention, regulation.
- deepen (verb) – increase, intensify, escalate.
- deprivation (noun) – hardship, distress, poverty/destitution.
- enactment (noun) – bill, law, regulation.
1. Click each one of the words above for their definition, more synonyms, pronunciation, example sentences, phrases, derivatives, origin and etc from http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/.bigotry, narrow-mindedness
2. Definitions (elementary level) & Synonyms provided for the words above are my personal work and not that of Oxford University Press. Tentative definitions/meanings are provided for study purpose only and they may vary in different context.
3. This word list is for personal use only. Reproduction in any format and/or Commercial use of it is/are strictly prohibited.
Today’s word list-1 The Hindu Editorial (Teachers and quotas) – Jul 03, 2019: