The Hindu Editorial (Star status) – Nov 05, 2020
The Supreme Court’s stay on the revocation of the status of former Madhya Pradesh Chief Minister Kamal Nath as a ‘star campaigner’ for the Congress brings to the fore the power of the Election Commission of India… For further reading, visit “The Hindu”. Below is today’s word list-2 for The Hindu Editorial (Star status) – Nov 05, 2020.
To read this article, click here.
This preview is provided here with permission.
Courtesy: The Hindu
Today’s word list-2 for The Hindu Editorial (Star status) – Nov 05, 2020:
- campaign (noun) – an organized effort which seeks to influence the decision making progress within a specific group.
- unduly (adverb) – inordinately, immoderately, disproportionately, excessively.
- abridge (verb) – shorten, cut short, curtail, truncate, lessen/decrease.
- stay (noun) – suspension, an act of stopping (temporarily).
- revocation (noun) – cancellation, abandonment, calling off.
- star campaigners (noun) – star campaigners can be described as persons who are nominated by (political) parties to campaign in a given set of constituencies. These persons are, in almost all cases, prominent and popular faces within the party. But, there are no specific definitions according to law or the Election Commission of India.
- bring to the fore (phrase) – to move something forward to a most important position (to make it more visible).
- convinced (adjective) – certain, sure, confident.
- rebuke (noun) – (sharp) disapproval, reprimand, (firm) warning, admonishment, criticism/castigation.
- distasteful (adjective) – unpleasant, disagreeable, undesirable.
- revoke (verb) – cancel, repeal/reverse, abrogate, nullify.
- Representation of the People Act, 1951 (noun) – an act of Parliament of India to provide for the conduct of election of the Houses of Parliament and to the House or Houses of the Legislature of each State, the qualifications and disqualifications for membership of those Houses, the corrupt practices and other offences at or in connection with such elections and the decision of doubts and disputes arising out of or in connection with such elections.
- privilege (noun) – a special advantage, right, benefit.
- incur (verb) – cause, bring on, be subject to (to pay a charge/bill).
- in effect (phrase) – in reality, in actual fact, effectively.
- account (noun) – financial statement, bill, list of charges.
- it stands to reason (phrase) – it is obvious, it is logical, it is sensible, it is understandable.
- plenary power (noun) – plenary authority; it is a complete and absolute power to take action on a particular issue, with no limitations.
- ought to (modal verb) – must, should.
- apparent (adjective) – evident/clear, visible, noticeable, recognizable.
- breach (noun) – contravention, violation, breaking, non-compliance.
- norm (noun) – standard, convention, criterion, regulation.
- Model Code of Conduct (MCC) (noun) – a set of guidelines issued by the Election Commission of India for conduct of political parties and candidates during elections.
- after all (phrase) – most importantly, above all, ultimately, essentially.
- charter (verb) – hire, lease, rent (an aircraft/ship).
- cite (verb) – refer to, adduce, make reference to, invoke.
- clause (noun) – term, condition, provision, requirement.
- bar (verb) – prohibit, forbid, ban, prevent.
- resort to (verb) – use, utilize, turn to, have recourse to.
- statutory (adjective) – legitimate, acceptable, permissible/admissible.
- watchdog (noun) – inspector/supervisor, observer, ombudsman.
- means (noun) – method, way, mode.
- observation (noun) – remark/comment, statement, declaration.
- invoke (verb) – cite, refer to, adduce.
- residuary power (noun) – residuary power is the power which is neither prohibited or explicitly given by law to any organ of government.
- foresee (verb) – anticipate, predict, envisage, envision.
- indeed (adverb) – in fact, actually.
- even-handed (adjective) – fair, just, equitable, impartial.
1. Click each one of the words above for their definition, more synonyms, pronunciation, example sentences, phrases, derivatives, origin and etc from http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/.
2. Definitions (elementary level) & Synonyms provided for the words above are my personal work and not that of Oxford University Press. Tentative definitions/meanings are provided for study purpose only and they may vary in different context.
3. This word list is for personal use only. Reproduction in any format and/or Commercial use of it is/are strictly prohibited.
Today’s word list-2 The Hindu Editorial (Star status) – Nov 05, 2020: