The Hindu Editorial (Split in the middle) – Jan 26, 2021
The political crisis triggered by Prime Minister K.P. Sharma Oli’s decision to dissolve Nepal’s Parliament and call fresh elections led to a vertical split… For further reading, visit “The Hindu”. Below is today’s word list-2 for The Hindu Editorial (Split in the middle) – Jan 26, 2021.
To read this article, click here.
This preview is provided here with permission.
Courtesy: The Hindu
Today’s word list-2 for The Hindu Editorial (Split in the middle) – Jan 26, 2021:
- split (noun) – division, rift, break-up, partition.
- in the middle (of) (phrase) – in the process of doing something.
- authoritarian (adjective) – oppressive, draconian, undemocratic, dictatorial, totalitarian.
- bode well/ill (verb) – augur, indicate, portend (a good/bad outcome).
- fledgling (adjective) – emerging, beginning, developing.
- trigger (verb) – cause, bring about, give rise to, prompt.
- dissolve (verb) – dismiss, disestablish, disband, abolish.
- call (verb) – announce, decide, order (an event (e.g. election) to happen).
- lead to (verb) – result in, cause, bring on, call forth, give rise to.
- vertical (adjective) – involving all the stages/levels (of a hierarchy).
- rival (noun) – opponent, adversary, contender, competitor.
- faction (noun) – group, section, division (within a larger group).
- sack (verb) – remove, dismiss, discharge, lay off (from the office/job).
- seek (verb) – ask for, appeal, request, demand.
- dissolution (noun) – cessation/end, termination, discontinuation, suspension.
- bloc (noun) – alliance, association, union.
- expel (verb) – throw out, remove, oust.
- aide (noun) – right-hand man, deputy, subordinate.
- fractious (adjective) – argumentative, quarrelsome, contentious, controversial, difficult (to control), disagreeable.
- movement (noun) – campaign, drive, push.
- in limbo (phrase) – unattended, unresolved, in a state of /uncertainty/suspension, postponed, in cold storage.
- erstwhile (adjective) – old, previous, former, then.
- rule out (phrasal verb) – eliminate, reject, dismiss.
- compromise (noun) – agreement, understanding, settlement.
- constitutional validity (noun) – it implies checking whether a particular law, procedure, act, etc. violates constitutional provisions or not.
- lasting (adjective) – long-lasting, continuing, long-term, permanent.
- alliance (noun) – association, union, partnership.
- last (verb) – continue, go on, carry on, keep going, proceed, survive.
- tacit (adjective) – hinted, suggested, implied, unspoken, unmentioned, unexpressed.
- step down (phrasal verb) – resign, give up one’s post, stand down.
- bitter (adjective) – hate-filled, savage, hostile, spiteful, awful, nasty, ill-natured.
- intra- (prefix) – within.
- feud (noun) – argument, dispute, disagreement, quarrel, fight.
- widening (adjective) – increasing.
- rift (noun) – break, division, split; disagreement, difference of opinion (in relationship).
- ideological (adjective) – relating to a system of ideas.
- line (noun) – policy; position.
- erosion (noun) – disintegration, deterioration, decline, undermining/weakening.
- echelon (noun) – level, rank, grade (in an organization).
- greed (noun) – desire, urge, need, appetite.
- trump (verb) – outshine, eclipse, surpass, outdo, outperform; do better than.
- interest (noun) – common concern; benefit, advantage.
- front (noun) – political group.
- republican (adjective) – elected, representative, parliamentary, of the people.
- chaos (noun) – disorder, disarray, turmoil, disorganization, disruption.
- down the middle (phrase) – dividing something equally into two parts.
1. Click each one of the words above for their definition, more synonyms, pronunciation, example sentences, phrases, derivatives, origin and etc from http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/.
2. Definitions (elementary level) & Synonyms provided for the words above are my personal work and not that of Oxford University Press. Tentative definitions/meanings are provided for study purpose only and they may vary in different context.
3. This word list is for personal use only. Reproduction in any format and/or Commercial use of it is/are strictly prohibited.
Today’s word list-2 The Hindu Editorial (Split in the middle) – Jan 26, 2021: