The Hindu Editorial (Signs and substance) – Feb 27, 2020
To read this article, click here.
This preview is provided here with permission.
Courtesy: The Hindu
Today’s word list-1 for The Hindu Editorial (Signs and substance) – Feb 27, 2020:
- substance (noun) – significant subject, important matter/content, valid message.
- leverage (verb) – use, make use of, utilize (to maximum gain).
- rapport (noun) – affinity, link/bond, close/special relationship, mutual understanding.
- clinch (verb) – secure, settle, confirm/conclude, close (a deal).
- cleave (verb) – split, divide, lay open, bisect/separate into two.
- symbolism (noun) – symbolic meaning to something (facts).
- rally (noun) – gathering, assembly, meeting (to show support for a cause).
- bilateral (adjective) – involving two groups or countries.
- the former (noun) – (denoting) the first-mentioned; the first one of two things that have been mentioned.
- address (noun) – a formal speech/talk/discourse.
- reflect (verb) – indicate, show, display, represent.
- unprecedented (adjective) – not done or experienced before.
- admiration (noun) – approval, regard, respect.
- credit with (verb) – be accredited with, be recognized as, be held responsible for.
- compliment (verb) – praise, commend, speak highly of, express admiration for.
- endorsement (noun) – support, backing, approval.
- please (verb) – satisfy, gratify, make happy, make someone feel good.
- count (noun) – a point for discussion or consideration.
- arson (noun) – setting fire intentionally to damage/destroy public properties, particularly buildings.
- briefing (noun) – information, directions, guidelines.
- concrete (adjective) – definite, specific, conclusive.
- memorandum of understanding (MoU) (noun) – a formal (written) agreement between two or more parties indicating an intended common line of action.
- Letter of Cooperation (noun) – a written agreement between one or more parties who are participants in a project or activity that usually requires the pooling of resources in order to accomplish a particular goal.
- Liquefied natural gas (LNG) (noun) – Liquefied natural gas (LNG) is natural gas that has been cooled to a liquid state, at about -260° Fahrenheit (-162.2° C), for shipping and storage.
- language (noun) – speech, communication, (verbal) expression, articulation.
- hegemony (noun) – leadership, dominance, authority.
- broach (verb) – put forward, bring up, raise/introduce.
- militarisation (noun) – the process by which a society organizes itself for military conflict and violence.
- counter (verb) – respond to, contradict, negate.
- strive (verb) – try hard, attempt, aim, make an effort.
- course (phrase) – plan of action, course of action, method of working, line of action; “set a course for” generally means to set/point the direction in which the ship/airplane should travel.
- backing (noun) – support, help, assistance.
- anticipated (adjective) – expected, predicted.
- elusive (adjective) – difficult to find, difficult to achieve; indistinct/intangible.
1. Click each one of the words above for their definition, more synonyms, pronunciation, example sentences, phrases, derivatives, origin and etc from http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/.
2. Definitions (elementary level) & Synonyms provided for the words above are my personal work and not that of Oxford University Press. Tentative definitions/meanings are provided for study purpose only and they may vary in different context.
3. This word list is for personal use only. Reproduction in any format and/or Commercial use of it is/are strictly prohibited.
Today’s word list-1 The Hindu Editorial (Signs and substance) – Feb 27, 2020: