The Hindu Editorial (Sexism in Parliament) – Jul 29, 2019
The triple talaq bill was passed in the Lok Sabha on July 25, silencing Opposition voices that the Muslim Women (Protection of Rights on Marriage) Bill,… For further reading, visit “The Hindu”. Below is today’s word list-1 for The Hindu Editorial (Sexism in Parliament) – Jul 29, 2019.
To read this article, click here.
This preview is provided here with permission.
Courtesy: The Hindu
Today’s word list-1 for The Hindu Editorial (Sexism in Parliament) – Jul 29, 2019:
- sexism (noun) – chauvinism, discrimination, prejudice, bias (against women).
- combat (verb) – fight, battle against, counter/oppose.
- the likes of (phrase) – someone considered as a type.
- silence (verb) – suppress, reduce, tone down.
- push through (phrasal verb) – succeed in passing a law accepted by the people who oppose it.
- scrutiny (noun) – observation, inspection, examination.
- dissent (noun) – disagreement, disapproval, opposition.
- the nitty-gritty (noun) – basics, essentials, main point.
- overshadow (verb) – conceal, obscure, outshine/eclipse.
- couplet (noun) – stanza, two lines of poetry (with same rhyme & length).
- digress (verb) – deviate, turn away, get off the subject/topic.
- address (verb) – talk to, give an address to, speak to.
- irony (noun) – paradox, incongruity, peculiarity.
- be lost on (phrase) – fail to be noticed by someone.
- quip (verb) – joke, make a witty remark, banter.
- point out (phrasal verb) – identify, recognize, designate.
- blot (noun) – disgrace, dishonour, stigma.
- veteran (noun) – (long-serving) expert, mature established/experienced person in an area of activity.
- no stranger to (phrase) – accustomed to, familiar with, acquainted with/knowledgeable about.
- misogynist (adjective) – relating to misogyny; anti-feminist, male chauvinist, male supremacist.
- pitch (verb) – try to convince/persuade someone to accept something.
- set aside (phrasal verb) – reserve, put aside, lay aside.
- odds (noun) – (difficult/tough) probability, chances, conditions.
- cold storage (noun) – temporary postponement of something.
- thwart (verb) – stop, prevent, check/obstruct/impede.
- appropriate (verb) – allocate, assign,/allot, earmark/set apart/set aside.
- stand-in (noun) – substitute, representative, reserve/replacement.
- hold true (phrase) – remain true or valid.
- overwhelming (adjective) – massive/huge, sweeping/decisive, total/complete.
- lip-service (noun) – a method of expressing approval/support without taking any significant action.
- prejudice (noun) – bias, intolerance, discrimination.
- chauvinistic (adjective) – jingoistic, strong nationalist, super patriotic.
1. Click each one of the words above for their definition, more synonyms, pronunciation, example sentences, phrases, derivatives, origin and etc from http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/.bigotry, narrow-mindedness
2. Definitions (elementary level) & Synonyms provided for the words above are my personal work and not that of Oxford University Press. Tentative definitions/meanings are provided for study purpose only and they may vary in different context.
3. This word list is for personal use only. Reproduction in any format and/or Commercial use of it is/are strictly prohibited.
Today’s word list-1 The Hindu Editorial (Sexism in Parliament) – Jul 29, 2019: