The Hindu Editorial (Seeds and fruits) – Jun 11, 2021
West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee’s call for cooperation among non-NDA counterparts in other States to support farmers agitating against three controversial laws made in June 2020… For further reading, visit “The Hindu”. Below is today’s word list-1 for The Hindu Editorial (Seeds and fruits) – Jun 11, 2021.
To read this article, click here.
This preview is provided here with permission.
Courtesy: The Hindu
The Hindu Editorial (Seeds and fruits) – Jun 11, 2021:
- seed (noun) – genesis, source, origin, starting point, beginnings.
- fruits (noun) – reward, benefit, advantages.
- call (for) (noun – demand, desire, need, request; requirement, necessity.
- mechanism (noun) – structure, system, procedure/method.
- counterpart (noun) – someone or something that has the same job or purpose as another; equivalent, equal, fellow.
- Farm Acts, 2000 (noun) – Farm Acts, 2000 refer to three agricultural bills passed by Indian Parliament in September 2020. The three acts are “The Farmers’ Produce Trade and Commerce (Promotion and Facilitation) Act, 2020 (FPTC Act) allows farmers to sell their harvest outside the notified Agricultural Produce Market Committee (APMC) mandis without paying any State taxes or fees”, “the Farmers (Empowerment and Protection) Agreement on Price Assurance and Farm Services Act, 2020 facilitates contract farming and direct marketing”, and “the Essential Commodities (Amendment) Act, 2020 deregulates the production, storage, movement and sale of several major foodstuffs, including cereals, pulses, edible oils and onion, except in the case of extraordinary circumstances”.
- go beyond (phrasal verb) – to be more than something; to be better than something; to do more than something.
- aid (verb) – facilitate, help, assist.
- vulnerable (adjective) – ill-protected, easily affected by, prone to, at risk of; undefended, powerless, helpless.
- fluctuation (noun) – variation, instability, unsteadiness, oscillation, rise and fall.
- remunerative (adjective) – profitable.
- reiterate (verb) – repeat, say again, restate.
- Minimum Support Price (MSP) (noun) – it is a form of market intervention by the Government of India to give guaranteed price and assured market to the farmers and protect them from the price fluctuations and market imperfections. The guaranteed price and assured market are expected to encourage higher investment and in the adoption of modern farming practices.
- crop (noun) – a plant that can be grown and harvested extensively for profit or subsistence.
- regardless of (phrase) – despite, notwithstanding, in spite of.
- merit (noun) – good point, strong point.
- stakeholder (noun) – a person with an interest in something.
- repeal (verb) – invalidate, cancel, nullify, revoke.
- virtual (adjective) – performing a task with the use of the computer, especially over a network.
- virtual conference (noun) – an interactive online event that brings together a group of people with similar interests or expertise so that they can learn/share information from one another; online meeting.
- likely (adverb) – probably, in all probability, presumably, doubtlessly.
- rivalry (noun) – opposition, conflict, discord; vying, competition, contention.
- unanimous (adjective) – in complete agreement/accord, with one voice, concordant/united.
- resolution (noun) – a motion/proposal that has been passed by the elected members of the Legislative Assembly.
- seek (verb) – try, aim, attempt.
- repeal (noun) – cancellation, invalidation, reversal, annulment, nullification.
- calculation (noun) – assessment, judgement, expectation.
- expediency (noun) – advantage, benefit, utility.
- retribution (noun) – revenge, vengeance, redress.
- for instance (phrase) – as an example.
- unilateral (adjective) – relating to a method of taking decisions (particularly on international relations) by a state (country) individually without considering other states (countries). In general, it is relating to the decision taken individually without consulting with the others concerned.
- curtail (verb) – decrease, lessen, reduce.
- vociferously (adverb) – vigorously, outspokenly, vehemently, forcefully, forthrightly.
- reciprocative (adjective) – mutual, reciprocal (given & done in return).
- overreach (noun) – an act of trying to do too much or overdoing something.
- persuade (verb) – convince, influence, motivate.
- vaccination (noun) – treatment with a vaccine to protect against a particular disease; immunization.
- wholehearted (adjective) – committed, enthusiastic, dedicated.
- good humour (noun) – happiness, joy, joyfulness, cheerfulness, pleasure.
- nevertheless (adverb) – in spite of everything, notwithstanding, regardless, anyway, anyhow, however.
- lead to (verb) – result in, cause, bring about, call forth, give rise to, produce.
- strategy (noun) – plan of action.
- tendency (noun) – inclination, disposition, penchant.
- salient (adjective) – important, notable, critical/crucial.
- call for (phrasal verb) – require, publicly ask/necessitate, demand.
- combative (adjective) – argumentative, contentious, quarrelsome, belligerent, aggressive, hostile.
- pursue (verb) – engage in, conduct, take part in (an activity).
- federalism/federal framework/system (noun) – a system of government in which establishments such as states or provinces share power with a national government.
- advocate (verb) – advise, uphold, support, back.
- harmonious (adjective) – friendly, amicable, cordial, agreeable, peaceful, cooperative, good-natured.