The Hindu Editorial (Searching for a solution) – Feb 10, 2020
New Delhi’s third attempt at conflict resolution with Assam’s Bodos came out of the blue. For further reading, visit “The Hindu”. Below is today’s word list-1 for The Hindu Editorial (Searching for a solution) – Feb 10, 2020.
To read this article, click here.
This preview is provided here with permission.
Courtesy: The Hindu
Today’s word list-1 for The Hindu Editorial (Searching for a solution) – Feb 10, 2020:
- accord (noun) – agreement, treaty, pact.
- empower (verb) – authorize, allow, entitle.
- enduring (verb) – permanent, lasting, remaining for a long time.
- out of the blue (phrase) – unexpectedly, without warning.
- sustained (adjective) – continuous, constant, steady.
- predate (verb) – happen at a date earlier than (something).
- pan- (combining form) – all inclusive of.
- ferment (noun) – furore, frenzy, agitation, clamour.
- abort (verb) – stop, cut short, call of, discontinue.
- summit (noun) – meeting, conference, talk.
- inauguration (noun) – a ceremony to mark the beginning of something.
- potent (adjective) – strong, powerful, influential.
- faction (noun) – group, division, sector.
- stay away from (phrasal verb) – evade, avoid, dodge.
- on board (phrase) – as a member (on to a team/group).
- stakeholder (noun) – a person with an interest in something.
- realm (noun) – area, field, domain (of activity).
- autonomy (noun) – self-determination, freedom, independence (from external control/influence).
- statehood (noun) – the condition of being an independent nation/state/country.
- burial (noun) – settling, deposition.
- generous (adjective) – liberal, large, ample/abundant.
- contiguity (noun) – the condition/quality of bordering with something; closeness, nearness, proximity.
- amnesty (noun) – official pardon, reprieve, forgiveness.
- militant (noun) – extremist, radical, fanatic, sectarian/partisan.
- heinous (adjective) – extremely bad & evil, shocking, horrible/wicked.
- benignly (adverb) – kindly, agreeably, sympathetically.
- shroud (verb) – cover, envelop, conceal/hide.
- moot (adjective) – undetermined, undecided, unconcluded; questionable.
- claimant (noun) – applicant, candidate, petitioner/appellant.
- spoils (noun) – benefits, advantages, booty (taken forcibly from a person/place).
- bonhomie (noun) – friendliness, warmth, geniality/affability.
- inception (noun) – setting up, origination, establishment, foundation/formation.
- cadre (noun) – members of a group; a small group (of people).
- fray (noun) – competition, contest.
- inter- (prefix) – between.
- munificence (noun) – beneficence, liberality, open-handedness.
- deepen (verb) – increase, intensify, escalate.
- defer (verb) – delay, hold off, postpone.
- playbook (noun) – strategies.
- betray (verb) – reveal, exhibit, disclose, communicate.
- insurgency (noun) – uprising, revolt, rebellion.
- engender (verb) – cause, give rise to, bring about.
- lie in (phrasal verb) – be present, be contained, exist.
- privilege (verb) – give a special advantage.
- equity (noun) – justice, impartiality, fair play.
- hegemony (noun) – leadership, dominance, authority.
1. Click each one of the words above for their definition, more synonyms, pronunciation, example sentences, phrases, derivatives, origin and etc from http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/
2. Definitions (elementary level) & Synonyms provided for the words above are my personal work and not that of Oxford University Press. Tentative definitions/meanings are provided for study purpose only and they may vary in different context.
3. This word list is for personal use only. Reproduction in any format and/or Commercial use of it is/are strictly prohibited.
Today’s word list-1 The Hindu Editorial (Searching for a solution) – Feb 10, 2020: