The Hindu Editorial (Reverse migration) – Jun 18, 2021
Leaders switching parties and parties recruiting turncoats are not unheard of in Indian politics. A shrinking party would lose leaders while an expanding party would gain them. For further reading, visit “The Hindu”. Below is today’s word list-1 for The Hindu Editorial (Reverse migration) – Jun 18, 2021.
To read this article, click here.
This preview is provided here with permission.
Courtesy: The Hindu
The Hindu Editorial (Reverse migration) – Jun 18, 2021:
- reverse migration (noun) – an act of going back to one’s home/native place.
- defection (noun) – desertion, absconding, decamping.
- mobilisation (noun) – the act of bringing forces/people/resources together for a particular cause.
- opportunistic (adjective) – selfish, self-centred, self-seeking, egocentric, inward-looking.
- purchase (noun) – advantage, support, grip, leverage.
- switch (verb) – change, shift.
- turncoat (noun) – traitor, defector, deserter, betrayer.
- unheard (adjective) – new, unknown, unfamiliar.
- shrinking (adjective) – declining.
- expanding (adjective) – growing.
- acquisition (noun) – obtaining, acquiring, procuring.
- strategy (noun) – plan of action.
- go beyond (phrasal verb) – be more than something.
- far (adverb) – much.
- opportunism (noun) – expediency, exploitation, taking advantage, pragmatism, realism.
- electoral (adjective) – relating to electors/voters.
- cross over (verb) – to change side from one to another.
- consecutive (adjective) – successive, continuous.
- incumbent (noun) – the present holder or occupant of an office.
- tenure (noun) – term, time, period (in/of office).
- perhaps (adverb) – maybe, possibly.
- due to (phrase) – because of, owing to, on account of, as a result of.
- lure (noun) – temptation, enticement, attraction.
- central agencies (plural noun) – the central agencies are organizations in the executive branch that co-ordinate the activities of, and provide guidance to the operating ministries and agencies; e.g. Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI), Directorate of Enforcement (ED), Income Tax Department (IT) and etc.
- irregularity (noun) – impropriety, incorrectness, wrongdoing, misconduct, illegitimacy.
- flock (verb) – go in large numbers.
- induct (verb) – admit to, allow into, introduce to.
- defector (noun) – betrayer, turncoat, traitor (a person who changes sides).
- follow suit (phrase) – emulate, copy, follow, take (another’s actions as an example).
- haven (noun) – a place of safety, place of security, shelter.
- flux (noun) – instability, unsteadiness, unpredictability.
- unlikely (adjective) – improbable, not likely, doubtful.
- span (noun) – period, time, duration.
- rely on (phrasal verb) – depend on; resort to, have recourse to.
- organically (adverb) – naturally, orderly, systematically, methodically.
- embarrassing (adjective) – awkward, uncomfortable, difficult, problematic, troublesome.
- hurry (noun) – haste, urgency, importance, top priority,
- viable (adjective) – reasonable, practical, logical, sensible, effective.
- coarsen (verb) – make something unpleasant, desensitize, blunt.
- rattle (verb) – disturb, discomfit, disconcert/unnerve.
- punch above one’s weight (phrase) – try to achieve or perform at a higher level than expected (beyond one’s ability).
- vortex (noun) – Figuratively to refer confusion, disturbance, commotion; it usually means countercurrent, counter flow, whirlwind/eddy (circular movement).
- allegation (noun) – charge, accusation, indictment.
- campaign (noun) – canvassing, electioneering, an act of soliciting (asking for/requesting) votes; an organized effort that seeks to influence the decision-making progress within a specific group.
- Hawala (noun) – a popular and informal value (money) transfer system based not on the movement of cash or computer network wire transfers between banks, but through a huge network of illegal money brokers.
- bribe (verb) – buy off, pay off, suborn, corrupt.
- ally (noun) – partner, supporting (political) party (with common interests).
- add up to nothing (phrase) – to result in nothing.
- virtue (noun) – good quality, attribute.
- grassroots (noun as modifier) – the most basic levels of an organisation.
- activism (noun) – involvement; campaigning/supporting (to cause political or social change).
- if at all (phrase) – It indicates that something is unlikely to happen, if it does happen, but it happens in a restricted way.
- undermine (verb) – reduce, diminish, spoil, damage, weaken.
- modest (adjective) – humble; fair.
- gracious (adjective) – courteous, polite, diplomatic, civilized, well mannered.
- (in) the short term (phrase) – (in) the near future.
- interest (noun) – benefit, advantage.
- in/over the long term (phrase) – over a long period of time; in the future.