The Hindu Editorial (New space) – Mar 06, 2021
With the launch of Brazil’s Amazonia-1 satellite last week from Sriharikota, a new chapter has begun in India’s space history. For further reading, visit “The Hindu”. Below is today’s word list-1 for The Hindu Editorial (New space) – Mar 06, 2021.
To read this article, click here.
This preview is provided here with permission.
Courtesy: The Hindu
The Hindu Editorial (New space) – Mar 06, 2021:
- Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) (noun) – Indian Space Research Organisation, formed in 1969, superseded the erstwhile Indian National Committee for Space Research (INCOSPAR). Vikram Sarabhai, having identified the role and importance of space technology in a Nation’s development, provided ISRO the necessary direction to function as an agent of development. ISRO then embarked on its mission to provide the Nation space-based services and to develop the technologies to achieve the same independently. (Courtesy: www.isro.gov.in).
- mission (noun) – expedition, journey (into space); assignment, project, operation.
- take advantage of (phrase) – make use of, utilize, put to use, use, capitalize on, draw on.
- market opportunity (noun) – a situation in which a company can meet an unsatisfied customer need before its competitors. It is a newly identified need or want that a company can use to grow.
- Amazonia-1 satellite (noun) – Amazonia 1 is the first Earth Observation satellite based on the Multi Mission Platform (MMP), to be completely designed, integrated, tested, and operated by the National Institute for Space Research (INPE), Brazil.
- entity (noun) – object, thing, piece of matter, unit.
- NewSpace India Limited (NSIL) (noun) – NewSpace India Limited (NSIL), incorporated on 6 March 2019 (under the Companies Act, 2013) is a wholly owned Government of India company, under the administrative control of Department of Space (DOS). NSIL is the commercial arm of Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) with the primary responsibility of enabling Indian industries to take up high technology space related activities and is also responsible for promotion and commercial exploitation of the products and services emanating from the Indian space programme. (Courtesy: www.isro.gov.in).
- arm (noun) – branch, section, department, division.
- aboard (preposition/adverb) – on a spacecraft (satellite launch vehicle).
- RISAT-2BRI (noun) – RISAT-2BR1 is a radar imaging earth observation satellite weighing about 628 kg. The satellite will provide services in the field of Agriculture, Forestry and Disaster Management. The mission life of RISAT-2BR1 is 5 years.
- EOS-01/RISAT-2BR2 (noun) – EOS-01 is an earth observation satellite, intended for applications in agriculture, forestry and disaster management support.
- piggyback (adjective) – attached to a larger object/thing.
- so far (phrase) – until now, up to the present, up to this point.
- Polar Satellite Launch Vehicle (PSLV) (noun) – Polar Satellite Launch Vehicle (PSLV) is the third generation launch vehicle of India. It is the first Indian launch vehicle to be equipped with liquid stages. After its first successful launch in October 1994, PSLV emerged as the reliable and versatile workhorse launch vehicle of India with 53 launches so far. To date, the vehicle has launched 48 Indian satellites (till 2017) and 342 satellites for customers from 34 countries. (Courtesy: www.isro.gov.in).
- Antrix (noun) – Antrix Corporation Limited (Antrix), incorporated on 28 September 1992 (under the Companies Act, 1956), is a wholly owned Government of India Company under the administrative control of Department of Space (DOS). Antrix is the commercial arm of Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO). Antrix promotes and commercially markets the products and services emanating from the Indian Space Programme.
- Indian National Space Promotion and Authorization Center (IN-SPACe) (noun) – an independent nodal agency under Department of Space for allowing space activities and usage of DOS owned facilities by (Non-Government-Private-Entities) NGPEs as well as to prioritise the launch manifest. It is a regulatory agency to provide a level playing field for private companies to use Indian space infrastructure. This is part of reforms aimed at giving a boost to private sector participation in the entire range of space activities. The IN-SPACe will also hand-hold, promote and guide the private industries in space activities through encouraging policies and a friendly regulatory environment.
- regulatory (adjective) – supervisory, managerial, controlling.
- tribunal (noun) – panel, committee (set up to resolve some disputes particularly).
- adjudicate (verb) – adjudge, judge, decide, settle, resolve.
- potential (adjective) – possible, likely.
- explosion (noun) – sudden/rapid increase.
- on the anvil (phrase) – in a state/condition of discussion (not implemented); being discussed or prepared but is not yet ready.
- play a part/role (phrase) – contribute to, be instrumental in, be a factor in.
- infrastructure (noun) – the basic physical or organisational structure or framework.
- myriad (adjective) – a great number, countless, various.
- conspicuous (adjective) – clearly visible, noticeable, discernible/perceivable.
- go by something (phrasal verb) – to follow something.
- International Chamber of Commerce (ICC) (noun) – the voice of world business championing the global economy as a force for economic growth, job creation and prosperity. It is the world business organization, enabling business to secure peace, prosperity, and opportunity for all.
- uphold (verb) – confirm, endorse/approve, vindicate/validate.
- insulate (verb) – protect, keep safe, shield.
- prospects (noun) – possibilities, chances, opportunities.
- repercussion (noun) – consequence, result, effect, outcome.
- imbroglio (noun) – confused/complicated situation; difficulty/predicament.
- unfettered (adjective) – unrestrained, unrestricted, unconstrained.
- spawn (verb) – produce, generate, promote/trigger.
- inconceivable (adjective) – unbelievable, extremely difficult to believe, unimaginable, extremely doubtful.
- scratch the surface (phrase) – deal with something very casually.
- in terms of (phrase) – with regard to, regarding/concerning, in connection with.
- ambit (noun) – scope, range, extent, bound.
- span (verb) – range, extend, comprise, spread over.
- endeavour (verb) – try, attempt, venture, undertake, aspire.
- conceive (verb) – think up, devise, formulate; imagine, envisage, visualize.
- aid (verb) – facilitate, help, assist.
- reach out (phrasal verb) – contact someone to obtain/offer help/assistance/cooperation.
- facilitate (verb) – make easy, make possible; assist, help/aid.
- ambassador (noun) – representative, promoter, campaigner (of a particular activity)
- disruptor (noun) – a company that causes a radical change in an existing industry.
- arena (noun) – a place of activity.
1. Click each one of the words above for their definition, more synonyms, pronunciation, example sentences, phrases, derivatives, origin and etc from http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/.
2. Definitions (elementary level) & Synonyms provided for the words above are my personal work and not that of Oxford University Press. Tentative definitions/meanings are provided for study purpose only and they may vary in a different context.
3. This word list is for personal use only. Reproduction in any format and/or Commercial use of it is/are strictly prohibited.
The Hindu Editorial (New space) – Mar 06, 2021: