The Hindu Editorial (Keep up the pressure) – Feb 24, 2020
The decision by global watchdog, the Financial Action Task Force (FATF), at its plenary in Paris last week,… For further reading, visit “The Hindu”. Below is today’s word list-1 for The Hindu Editorial (Keep up the pressure) – Feb 24, 2020.
To read this article, click here.
This preview is provided here with permission.
Courtesy: The Hindu
Today’s word list-1 for The Hindu Editorial (Keep up the pressure) – Feb 24, 2020:
- keep up (phrasal verb) – continue, maintain, persist, carry on/go on with.
- hold someone to account (phrase) – to require a person to explain or to accept responsibility for his or her actions; to blame or punish someone for what has occurred.
- watchdog (noun) – inspector/supervisor, observer, ombudsman.
- plenary (noun) – assembly, conference, meeting.
- grey/watch list (noun) – a list of countries on observation due to their “strategic deficiencies” in countering terror-financing and money-laundering. The countries put on grey/watch list by the Financial Action Task Force (FATF) will be subjected to direct monitoring and intense scrutiny by the International Co-operation Review Group (ICRG) on terror financing.
- carry out (phrasal verb) – conduct, perform, execute.
- loophole (noun) – an ambiguity in the law; flaw/fault, defect.
- call on (phrasal verb) – appeal to, demand, ask, request.
- prosecution (noun) – legal action/trail, legal proceeding, litigation.
- sanction (verb) – punish, prohibit, put restriction on.
- flout (verb) – disobey, break, violate.
- designated (adjective) – classified, labelled, identified.
- comply with (verb) – abide by, adhere to, conform to.
- stricture (noun) – constraint, restriction, limitation, restraint.
- blacklist (noun) – a list of countries which the Financial Action Task Force (FATF) judges to be non-cooperative in the global fight against money laundering and terrorist financing.
- consensus (noun) – an idea or opinion that is shared by all the people in a group. agreement, concurrence.
- slip through (phrasal verb) – pass through, escape (without being noticed), to fail to be noticed.
- pledge (verb) – promise/swear, give one’s word; give an assurance.
- veto (verb) – reject, dismiss; prohibit/block.
- set the stage for (phrase) – prepare the circumstances for beginning of something.
- sustain (verb) – continue, carry on, keep up.
- punitive (adjective) – disciplinary, corrective, retributive.
- immunity (noun) – impunity, exemption/freedom from punishment, special treatment.
- conviction (noun) – sentence, judgement, verdict.
- command performance (noun) – something done at the request/order of someone.
- submission (noun) – suggestion, proposition, recommendation; statement/assertion/claim.
- scrutinise (verb) – examine carefully, inspect; investigate.
- flag (verb) – indicate, identify, point out.
- extract (verb) – obtain by force, wrest, exact, squeeze out.
1. Click each one of the words above for their definition, more synonyms, pronunciation, example sentences, phrases, derivatives, origin and etc from http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/.
2. Definitions (elementary level) & Synonyms provided for the words above are my personal work and not that of Oxford University Press. Tentative definitions/meanings are provided for study purpose only and they may vary in different context.
3. This word list is for personal use only. Reproduction in any format and/or Commercial use of it is/are strictly prohibited.
Today’s word list-1 The Hindu Editorial (Keep up the pressure) – Feb 24, 2020: