The Hindu Editorial (Infinite crisis) – Feb 20, 2020
To read this article, click here.
This preview is provided here with permission.
Courtesy: The Hindu
Today’s word list-2 for The Hindu Editorial (Infinite crisis) – Feb 20, 2020:
- infinite (adjective) – never-ending, endless, boundless.
- deepen (verb) – increase, intensify, escalate.
- war-torn (adjective) – (of a place) devastated, ruined, wrecked (by war).
- opponent (noun) – rival, enemy, nemesis, contender/opposer.
- point to (verb) – indicate, suggest, denote.
- fraudulent (adjective) – untrustworthy, dishonest, deceitful/untruthful.
- vow (verb) – affirm, pledge, promise/swear.
- parallel government (noun) – a government formed by a person or by a group of people regardless of the presence of the main government with authority. it is basically formed to undermine the authority of the main government.
- undermine (verb) – weaken, damage, spoil, cripple.
- feeble (adjective) – weak, powerless; ineffective.
- writ (noun) – authority, power, control/influence.
- stretch (verb) – extend, spread (over an area).
- déjà vu (adjective) – French, literally meaning ‘already seen’. it is that feeling of already having experienced a particular situation.
- broker (verb) – settle, negotiate, arrange (an agreement).
- take over (phrasal verb) – assume control of, take control of, gain control of.
- at odds with (phrase) – in disagreement, in conflict, at loggerheads; quarrelling, arguing.
- hinterland (noun) – remote areas of a country away from the coastal areas/the banks of major rivers.
- step up (phrasal verb) – increase, intensify, escalate, scale up.
- unsurprisingly (adverb) – as expected.
- turn up (phrasal verb) – appear, come/go, arrive, be present, turn out.
- infighting (noun) – conflict, disagreement, argument.
- go-ahead (noun) – permission, consent, licence.
- insurgent (noun) – revolutionist/rebel, agitator, subversive/terrorist.
- pullback (noun) – withdrawing (troops).
- wind down (phrasal verb) – come to an end, draw to a close, wind up, close down.
- legitimate (adjective) – lawful, legal, authorized.
- invariably (adverb) – always, every time/each time; habitually/inevitably.
- aid (verb) – help, assist, support.
- chronic (adjective) – persistent, long-term, continuing (or happening again and again for a long time).
- resurgent (adjective) – rising again; increasing or reviving after a period of little activity/dullness.
- big picture (noun) – a broad overview of a situation, issue, or problem.
- get out (phrasal verb) – go away, leave.
- narrow (verb) – narrow-minded, intolerant, illiberal, dogmatic.
- self-interest-driven (noun) – selfish, self-regarding, egocentric.
- quest (noun) – search, pursuit; mission.
- extremist (noun) – militant, radical, hardliner.
1. Click each one of the words above for their definition, more synonyms, pronunciation, example sentences, phrases, derivatives, origin and etc from http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/.
2. Definitions (elementary level) & Synonyms provided for the words above are my personal work and not that of Oxford University Press. Tentative definitions/meanings are provided for study purpose only and they may vary in different context.
3. This word list is for personal use only. Reproduction in any format and/or Commercial use of it is/are strictly prohibited.
Today’s word list-2 The Hindu Editorial (Infinite crisis) – Feb 20, 2020: