The Hindu Editorial (Imperious missteps) – May 27, 2021
Lakshadweep, an archipelago of 36 islands totalling 32 square kilometres in the Arabian Sea, has had an idyllic existence as a Union Territory. But no longer, it seems,… For further reading, visit “The Hindu”. Below is today’s word list-2 for The Hindu Editorial (Imperious missteps) – May 27, 2021.
To read this article, click here.
This preview is provided here with permission.
Courtesy: The Hindu
The Hindu Editorial (Imperious missteps) – May 27, 2021:
- imperious (adjective) – forceful, arrogant, high-handed, overbearing, commanding, domineering, authoritarian.
- misstep (noun) – mistake, blunder, false step.
- recall (verb) – officially call back (someone).
- ill-conceived (adjective) – absurd, ridiculous, not carefully planned.
- archipelago (noun) – a group of (small) islands closely scattered in a body of water; e.g. Indonesia, Andaman and Nicobar Islands, Japan, the Philippines, Maldives & etc.
- idyllic (adjective) – ideal/perfect, extremely happy, peaceful.
- no longer (phrase) – not any more.
- long arm (noun) – far-reaching power, force, authority.
- rummage (verb) – search through, hunt through, ferret about in, dig in.
- Administrator (noun) – Union Territories are administrated by the President acting to such extent, as he thinks fit, through an Administrator appointed by him.
- determined (adjective) – insistent on, fixed on, firm about, obsessed with, single-minded about.
- upend (verb) – to affect/damage something completely/drastically.
- landscape (noun) – terrain, environment; the distinctive features (of a field of activity).
- recast (verb) – change, alter, transform; reshape, remodel.
- authoritarian (adjective) – oppressive, draconian, dictatorial, totalitarian.
- imagination (noun) – interest, attention, preoccupation.
- The Draft Lakshadweep Development Authority Regulation, 2021 (LDAR 2021) (noun) – This Draft Regulation, notified on the administration’s website, proposes to change the existing land ownership and usage in Lakshadweep by giving sweeping powers to the administration to directly interfere with an islander’s right to possess and retain their property. It empowers the administration to pick any land for “development” activities provided under its regulation.
- sweeping (adjective) – overwhelming, decisive, complete, total, out-and-out, unrestricted, unconditional.
- measure (noun) – statute, act, law, legislation.
- offence (noun) – crime, illegal/unlawful act, wrongdoing.
- hold (verb) – imprison, lock up, put behind bars, put in prison, put in jail, incarcerate.
- The Lakshadweep Prevention of Anti-Social Activities Regulation or Goonda Act (noun) – This act grants immense powers to the administrator, including to detain a person for up to one year to ‘prevent him from acting in any manner prejudicial to the maintenance of public order.
- livelihood (noun) – means of making a living with the basic necessities (food, water, shelter and clothing); means of support, subsistence, source of income.
- impede (verb) – hinder, obstruct, hamper, disrupt.
- Coast Guard Act, 1978 (noun) – An Act to provide for the constitution and regulation of an Armed Force of the Union for ensuring the security of the maritime zones of India with a view to the protection of maritime and other national interests in such zones and for matters connected therewith.
- dairy (adjective) – relating to the products made from milk.
- run (verb) – organize, manage, control.
- fragile (adjective) – weak, delicate, shaky.
- ecosystem (noun) – complex situation/environment.
- is no stranger to (phrase) – experienced in something; knowledgeable about something; to be well informed about a particular experience or activity.
- disregard (noun) – negligence, indifference, non-observance, inattention.
- in the absence of (phrase) – without.
- rationale (noun) – reason, reasoning/thinking, logic, grounds, basis.
- public good (phrase) – the benefit, advantage, or well-being of the public.
- blatantly (adverb) – openly, flagrantly, glaringly, shamelessly.
- arbitrary (adjective) – whimsical, capricious, random, casual; tyrannical, autocratic, dictatorial, authoritarian, draconian, anti-democratic.
- at play (phrase) – in effect, happening.
- inhabitant (noun) – resident, dweller; people/public.
- part with (verb) – give up, relinquish, forgo, hand over, renounce.
- ill-advised (adjective) – ill-considered, ill-judged, misguided, badly planned.
- demography (noun) – the composition/formation of a specific human population.
- rise (verb) – become more intense.
- far from (phrase) – not, not at all.
- insistent (adjective) – determined, adamant, unyielding, unrelenting.
- carve out (phrasal verb) – establish, develop, create something (by taking something from a larger whole) with effort.
- invert (verb) – reverse, flip over, transpose, upturn.
- licence (noun) – permission, authority, right, a free hand, consent, authorization, approval.
- interfere (verb) – intervene in, get involved in, encroach on, impinge on, meddle in.