The Hindu Editorial (Hard-fought glory) – Sep 11, 2019
Rafael Nadal’s relationship with hard courts can be described as tenuous at best. While he is the king of clay and quite adept on grass,… For further reading, visit “The Hindu”. Below is today’s word list-2 for The Hindu Editorial (Hard-fought glory)- Sep 11, 2019.
To read this article, click here.
This preview is provided here with permission.
Courtesy: The Hindu
Today’s word list-2 for The Hindu Editorial (Hard-fought glory) – Sep 11, 2019:
- hard-fought (adjective) – achieved with strong effort.
- glory (noun) – fame, honour, eminence, reputation/recognition.
- tenuous (adjective) – fragile, doubtful, questionable.
- at best (phrase) – only, merely, simply.
- quite (adverb) – in every respect, in all respects, without exception.
- adept (adjective) – expert, accomplished, skilful/talented.
- acrylic (noun) – synthetic fibre (court).
- bane (noun) – torment, distress, hardship.
- unforgiving (adjective) – harsh, hostile, severe.
- wear and tear (noun) – damage, deterioration, degeneration (in ordinary use during a period).
- short of (phrase) – less than.
- illustrious (adjective) – notable, noteworthy, prominent.
- stretch (noun) – period, time.
- limping (adjective) – relating to something proceed/move with difficulty.
- bruising (adjective) – stressful, demanding/taxing, painful.
- fraction (noun) – tiny amount.
- set up (phrasal verb) – arrange, organize, fix up.
- streak (noun) – period, spell, stretch/time.
- hegemonic (adjective) – dominant in a context.
- usher in (phrasal verb) – herald/signal, start/, begin, announce/initiate.
- fleeting (adjective) – brief, momentary, short-lived.
- astonishing (adjective) – amazing, surprising, impressive/unbelievable.
- corner (verb) – control, dominate.
- tantalising (adjective) – exciting, interesting, alive.
- protagonist (noun) – supporter, advocate/champion, proponent.
- crop (noun) – batch, group (of people appearing at one time).
- scenario (noun) – course of events, situation.
- novelty (noun) – originality, newness, freshness.
- unabated (adjective) – persistent, continuing, constant.
- audacity (noun) – prowess, courage, bravery, boldness.
- preserve (noun) – speciality, specialism.
- in tatters (phrase) – shattered, destroyed; ruined.
1. Click each one of the words above for their definition, more synonyms, pronunciation, example sentences, phrases, derivatives, origin and etc from http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/.bigotry, narrow-mindedness
2. Definitions (elementary level) & Synonyms provided for the words above are my personal work and not that of Oxford University Press. Tentative definitions/meanings are provided for study purpose only and they may vary in different context.
3. This word list is for personal use only. Reproduction in any format and/or Commercial use of it is/are strictly prohibited.
Today’s word list-2 The Hindu Editorial (Hard-fought glory) – Sep 11, 2019: