The Hindu Editorial (Growing precarity) – Jul 16, 2021
The latest inflation data based on retail and wholesale prices are yet again flashing cautionary signals as spiralling costs continue to dog the pandemic-hit economy. For further reading, visit “The Hindu”. Below is today’s word list-2 for The Hindu Editorial (Growing precarity) – Jul 16, 2021.
To read this article, click here.
This preview is provided here with permission.
Courtesy: The Hindu
The Hindu Editorial (Growing precarity) – Jul 16, 2021:
- growing (adjective) – increasing.
- precarity (noun) – the state of being uncertain/insecure/unsafe.
- inflation (noun) – simply meaning “cost of living”; increase of price level of goods & services and vice versa decrease of currency value.
- ease (verb) – lessen, reduce, decrease.
- reel under (phrase) – to suffer (due to a burden).
- cautionary (adjective) – frightening, intimidating, alarming, warning.
- spiralling (adjective) – increasing continuously & dramatically.
- dog (verb) – (of a problem) trouble, disturb, worry, beset, bother (continuously).
- pandemic-hit (adjective) – affected by the pandemic.
- pandemic (noun) – the worldwide spread of a new disease; The illness spreads around the world and typically affects a large number of people across a wide area.
- Consumer Price Index (CPI) (noun) – The CPI looks at the basket of consumer goods and services and it measures the change in price of this basket over a period of time. To put it simply, the CPI monitors retail prices at a certain level for a particular commodity.
- Retail or Consumer Price Index (CPI) inflation (noun) – The change in the price index of the basket of consumer goods and services over a period of time is referred to as CPI-based inflation or retail inflation.
- Wholesale Price Index (WPI) (noun) – The WPI looks at a basket of wholesale goods (goods purchased in large quantities by businesses directly from manufacturers with the intent of reselling them to retailers). the WPI tracks prices at the factory gate before the retail level.
- Wholesale or Wholesale price Index (WPI) inflation (noun) – The change in the price index of the basket of wholesale goods (and no services) over a period of time is referred to as WPI-based inflation or wholesale inflation.
- headline inflation (noun) – it is a measure of the total inflation within an economy, including commodities such as food and energy prices.
- core inflation (noun) – it is a measure of the total inflation within an economy, excluding commodities such as food and energy prices (which change frequently).
- index (noun) – an (economic) data figure reflecting something (e.g. price/quantity) compared with a standard or base value; pointer, indicator.
- stick (verb) – be fixed in a particular level.
- bound (noun) – limits, restrictions, limitations, proportions.
- provisional (adjective) – temporary, interim, transitional, makeshift.
- annualised (adjective) – (of an inflation) calculated again as an annual rate.
- propel (verb) – force, spur, motivate, prompt.
- surge (verb) – rise or increase suddenly.
- jump (verb) – rise, go up, soar, surge.
- year-on-year (adjective) – year over year (for comparison).
- preceding (adjective) – previous, prior, earlier.
- pulses (noun) – pulses are the term used for edible dry peas, beans, lentils, and chickpeas &, etc.
- climb (verb) – increase, rise
- the central bank (noun) – The banking regulator of a county’s banking system. The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) is the central bank of India.
- bulletin (noun) – report, release, statement, announcement.
- Liquefied petroleum gas (LPG) (noun) – a flammable mixture of hydrocarbon gases in liquid form used as fuel in heating appliances, cooking equipment, and vehicles.
- mainstay (noun) – chief support, central component, backbone; bulwark, bastion.
- dung cake (noun) – a cooking fuel traditionally made from cow/buffalo dung (by flattening & drying it).
- disconcertingly (adverb) – unsettlingly, disturbingly, worryingly.
- so far (phrase) – until now, up to the present, up to this point.
- persistently (adverb) – continuously.
- crude oil (noun) – the raw natural resource that is extracted from the earth and refined into products such as gasoline, jet fuel, diesel and other petroleum products.
- unabated (adjective) – continuous, non-stop, steady.
- bound to (adjective) – certain, sure, very likely, guaranteed.
- produce (noun) – all agricultural products.
- stubbornly (adverb) – persistently, firmly, inflexibly.
- soar (verb) – increase, rise rapidly.
- edge up (phrasal verb) – increase, rise to a target gradually.
- cope with (verb) – deal with, grapple with, handle/manage.
- contract (verb) – decline, decrease, diminish, reduce.
- IHS Markit (noun) – it is a global leader in information, analytics and solutions for the major industries and markets that drive economies worldwide. It partners with clients in business, finance and government to help them see the big picture with unrivaled insights that lead to well-informed, confident decisions.
- Purchasing Managers’ Index (PMI) (noun) – Purchasing Managers Index (PMI) is a monthly business survey data provided by IHS Markit. The monthly data are derived from surveys of senior executives at private sector companies. PMI data is used for accurate and timely insight into the health of a particular economy. The PMI data are used by financial and corporate professionals to better understand where economies and markets are headed, and to uncover opportunities.
- traction (noun) – momentum, purchase.
- in the wake of (phrase) – as a result of, in the aftermath of, as a consequence of.
- erode (verb) – (gradually) undermine, weaken, spoil, deteriorate, destroy.
- consumptive capacity (noun) – the power to use goods and services in the satisfaction of human wants.
- looming (adjective) – threatening.
- possibility (noun) – chance, practicability, probability.
- outlook (noun) – prospects, expectations, hopes, likely improvement, lookout, future.
- cloud (verb) – confuse, muddle; make uncertain/unclear.
- cumulative (adjective) – total, collective, aggregate.
- span (verb) – extend over, stretch across, spread over, range over.
- deficient (adjective) – inadequate, insufficient, poor.
- hardship (noun) – misfortune, distress, suffering, affliction, trouble.
- hinterland (noun) – remote areas of a country away from the coastal areas/the banks of major rivers.
- at the very least (phrase) – at the minimum.
- cut (verb) – reduce, decrease, lessen.