The Hindu Editorial (Grecian churn) – Jul 11, 2019
The verdict in Sunday’s Greek elections affords a rare comfort for Europe’s centrists, who, arguably with the exception of Spain in April,… For further reading, visit “The Hindu”. Below is today’s word list-2 for The Hindu Editorial (Grecian churn) – Jul 11, 2019.
To read this article, click here.
This preview is provided here with permission.
Courtesy: The Hindu
Today’s word list-2 for The Hindu Editorial (Grecian churn) – Jul 11, 2019:
- churn (noun) – disorder/disorganization, confusion, disruption/chaos.
- centrist (noun) – a person whose political opinions are not extreme, falling between those of liberals and conservatives.
- with the exception of (phrase) – except, excluding, not including.
- cede (verb) – surrender, concede, give up.
- populist (adjective) – relating to the politicians who claim that they are representing the common/ordinary people.
- centre-right (adjective) – moderately right-wing (party).
- premier (noun) – prime minister, PM, president; head of government.
- rule out (phrasal verb) – reject, dismiss, exclude.
- dimension (noun) – aspect, feature, element.
- requisite (adjective) – necessary, required, essential.
- mischief (noun) – misconduct, disobedience, misbehaviour.
- hardline (adjective) – relating to a group/a political party with people who support a strict ideas and they are extreme & uncompromising.
- back (verb) – support, endorse, uphold.
- influx (noun) – the arrival of a large number of people simultaneously.
- immigrant (noun) – non-native, foreigner, migrant.
- refugee (noun) – displaced person, asylum seeker, escapee/exile.
- consolidate (verb) – stabilize, reinforce, fortify.
- the middle ground (noun) – agreement, understanding, settlement.
- benign (adjective) – kind, good-natured, friendly, warm; favourable, advantageous, beneficial.
- bear the brunt (phrase) – to suffer/get the worst (bad) part of some action.
- bailout (noun) – an act of providing financial help/support by the outside investors to a bank/institution which faces serious financial difficulty.
- biting (adjective) – harsh, cruel, savage.
- austerity (noun) – difficult economic crisis/financial distress. It is a political-economic term referring to policies that aim to reduce government budget deficits through spending cuts, tax increases, or a combination of both.
- verge (noun) – edge, brink, border.
- consensus (noun) – an idea or opinion that is shared by all the people in a group. agreement, concurrence.
- destined to (adjective) – certain to meet ( the fortune/fate/destiny).
- far from (phrase) – not, not at all, nowhere near.
- tepid (adjective) – unenthusiastic, uninterested, lukewarm.
- weigh down (phrasal verb) – trouble, worry/bother, disturb.
- Brussels (noun) – The headquarters of the European Union. Brussels is a metonymof the European Union.
- inference (noun) – conclusion, reasoning, thesis.
- derail (verb) – obstruct, interrupt, impede/thwart.
- navigate (Verb) – steer, guide, direct/handle.
- woes (noun) – trouble, difficulty, problem.
- lent past participle of lend (verb) – give, provide, offer.
- heft (noun) – ability, influence; weight/strength.
- leverage (verb) – use, make use of, utilize (to maximum gain).
- apparently (adverb) – seemingly, evidently, on the face of it.
- asylum (noun) – protection provided by a foreign country to somebody who is unable or unwilling to return to their home country due to fear of persecution (harm, harassment or oppression).
- underpin (verb) – support, strengthen, fortify, buttress.
- enlightened (adjective) – wise, well-informed, learned.
- temper (verb) – moderate, modify, lighten.
1. Click each one of the words above for their definition, more synonyms, pronunciation, example sentences, phrases, derivatives, origin and etc from http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/.bigotry, narrow-mindedness
2. Definitions (elementary level) & Synonyms provided for the words above are my personal work and not that of Oxford University Press. Tentative definitions/meanings are provided for study purpose only and they may vary in different context.
3. This word list is for personal use only. Reproduction in any format and/or Commercial use of it is/are strictly prohibited.
Today’s word list-2 The Hindu Editorial (Grecian churn) – Jul 11, 2019: