The Hindu Editorial (First call) – Feb 12, 2020
By making New Delhi their first stop abroad, Sri Lanka’s new President Gotabaya Rajapaksa,… For further reading, visit “The Hindu”. Below is today’s word list-2 for The Hindu Editorial (First call) – Feb 12, 2020.
To read this article, click here.
This preview is provided here with permission.
Courtesy: The Hindu
Today’s word list-2 for The Hindu Editorial (First call) – Feb 12, 2020:
- first call (noun) – initial arrangement/announcement (to be called to attention/consideration/notice).
- distrust (noun) – doubt/qualms, misgivings, lack of trust.
- stint (noun) – spell, period, term/time (in office).
- undergo (verb) – be subjected to, go through, engage in.
- strain (noun) – pressure, stress, demand/burden.
- line of credit (noun) – another term for credit line; a source of funds that can readily be tapped/borrowed at the borrower’s discretion (choice).
- intelligence (noun) – (military &political) information.
- utilisation (noun) – use, capitalization, exploitation.
revive (verb) – revitalize, regenerate, reinstitute, bring back.
- trilateral (adjective) – involving three nations/parties/groups.
- maritime (adjective) – of or related to the sea.
- relative (noun) – relation.
- bonhomie (noun) – friendliness, warmth, geniality/affability.
- palpable (adjective) – noticeable, appreciable, discernible.
- faultline (noun) – a divisive issue; a difference of opinion.
- devolution (noun) – decentralization, delegation, distribution.
- take forward (phrasal verb) – manage, sort out, deal with, take responsibility for.
- favour (verb) – support, recommend, advocate.
- rule out (phrasal verb) – exclude, eliminate, disregard, reject/dismiss.
- memorandum of understanding (MoU) (noun) – a formal (written) agreement between two or more parties.
- predecessor (noun) – previous holder of the post; forerunner, precursor, antecedent.
- stake (noun) – equity, share, investment.
- on the cards (phrase) – likely, possible, expected.
- of note (phrase) – important to be noticed/considered, worth mentioning.
- debt crisis (noun) – a situation in which a country is unable to pay back its government debt.
- outstanding (adjective) – unpaid, unsettled, pending, remaining.
- moratorium (noun) – a temporary suspension of something; embargo, ban, prohibition.
- upfront (adverb) – in advance, beforehand, ahead of time, openly/frankly.
- take up (phrasal verb) – accept, agree, undertake.
- cede (verb) – give up, concede, relinquish.
- rebuff (verb) – reject, refuse, decline.
- bilateral (adjective) – involving two groups or countries.
- far more (phrase) – a lot more, much more.
1. Click each one of the words above for their definition, more synonyms, pronunciation, example sentences, phrases, derivatives, origin and etc from http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/.
2. Definitions (elementary level) & Synonyms provided for the words above are my personal work and not that of Oxford University Press. Tentative definitions/meanings are provided for study purpose only and they may vary in different context.
3. This word list is for personal use only. Reproduction in any format and/or Commercial use of it is/are strictly prohibited.
Today’s word list-2 The Hindu Editorial (First call) – Feb 12, 2020: